Chapter Seventeen

While Milo wasn't feeling the greatest, he made sure that his attitude wouldn't bring others down, knowing that it wouldn't be fair. He decided the best way to get through the day would be to just focus on his classes and to his good fortune, he didn't have to deal with Professor Snape that Halloween. He was certainly glad that he could sit in his mother's classroom and listen to her describe how to perform the simple process of turning a beetle to a button. He wore a smile on his face while Minerva made it look so easy. It filled some with confidence that they would be able to do it easily, while others looked as if they had been informed of their doom. 

He chuckled as his beetle had left the table and crawled into his hand, exploring the boy's palm but also tickling him in the process.  A couple of giggles escaped from him, bringing the others in the class to look over at him, including his mother, who paused her lesson and watched him with a raised brow. Milo didn't notice that the class had become silent as he continued to laugh as the beetle continued to crawl around his hand and arm.

Suddenly, the clearing of the throat, the all too familiar sound that that rang the alarm in his head, Milo grabbed his beetle, cupping it in his hands and looking up to see that all eyes were on him. He looked at his mother meeting her eyes for a brief second, his gaze begging her to have some form of mercy. Normally, in the Transfiguration classes, if one was to interrupt the class, Minerva liked to assume that they were so far ahead of the class that they felt they had free time not to listen. So she would bring them up to give a demonstration to the other members of the class. With his anxiety, Milo's hands were already twitching, itching to start touching his hair. 

His mother spared him that day, glad to hear his laughter knowing that the day would not be the best for her son. Halloween always filled her with dread and while she didn't have regrets about telling Milo the truth of his parents, she certainly didn't like seeing him sad either. 

"Mr. Potter," she said, " pay attention."

"Yes, Professor."

He quickly set his beetle down on the table and as Minerva walked away to assist another student, he looked down at his little tickling friend.

"Now, listen here you, we have to take this very seriously," Milo whispered to the beetle, " this is my mother's class and she does not tolerate the obnoxious behavior. In fact, it's frowned upon. So, let's agree to working together and getting work done. I promise I will turn you into a beautiful button. One fit for a king's robes. Let's shake on it."

He held his hand out nearly smacking the beetle in the face but the little bug didn't move as it remained in place staring up at the boy for a few moments. Realization hit Milo like a brick as he slowly withdrew his hand.

"I suddenly realized the problem with that, well, rather than shaking on it, if you agree to it, remain silent and stare at me."

The beetle was still, bringing Milo to his face.

"Fantastic!" He exclaimed clapping his hands together. "Now, I'm thinking you would make a lovely bronze..."

After a successful Transfiguration class, Milo was happy to leave the classroom with his content beetle turning into a beautiful brass button before he was freed. He had put all his saddened thoughts behind him and thought about wandering to the kitchens to see Bitsy when he was nearly knocked back by someone running into his shoulder. He stumbled back a couple of steps, only to hear a faint "sorry" come from a broken voice. 

Turning his head, he caught sight of Hermione walking away from him down the corridor. He wondered if she hadn't recognized him but before he could call to her, he saw the girl rubbing at her eyes.