Chapter Twenty-Three

While Milo would have like to spend Christmas in the company of his brother, he knew he couldn't have everything in the world.  Perhaps there was space and time needed between the two, he had tried to move too fast into a routine of comfort and Harry hadn't been ready pushing Milo away again. So Milo agreed that he would stay in Hogsmeade until the term started up again in the new year. Minerva was waiting for Milo to invited Harry for Christmas but when the boy made no mention of it, she didn't bother to ask, it was the boy's decision after all, not hers.

Christmas morning, Rosmerta and Gwen arrived to spend the day with Milo leaving the boy excited as he greeted them at the door. He wasn't sure if they were expecting Malcolm to come over but he was given his answer when they found presents under the small Christmas tree and a card apologizing that he was not in the area for the holidays. As much as Minerva had been close to her brother when they were younger, the strain of losing their brother Robert had taken a toll on the McGonagall family. It didn't help that Robert and Malcolm had resembled each other to the point where Minerva couldn't look at one without seeing the other. 

It seemed the woman was destined to be surrounded by familiar faces of those she had lost at one point in her life. 

"Milo!" Gwen walked in and lifted the boy over her shoulder. "I've missed you so much!"

Milo hugged the woman's backside as he hung over her shoulder. "I missed you too, Gwen."

"And no one ever misses Rosmerta," the older woman huffed after folding her arms over her chest and looking away. When Gwen set the boy back down, Milo made his way over and wrapped his arms around her, before peering up at Rosmerta.

"I missed you," he admitted."I missed all of you. I still don't get used to not seeing the two of you every day like I do in the summer."

"Well, you need to convince your mother to come let you visit us more!" 

"There would be no fairness in allowing Milo to come into Hogsmeade while the other students his age cannot venture here until third year. I can't make exceptions," Minerva said as she came in. Immediately, Milo felt Rosmerta stiffen in his hold, while she and Gwen suddenly fixed their postures in front of Minerva.

"Well, technically, he does live here," Gwen said as she casually went to stand behind Rosmerta so the other woman could act as a barrier. "He'd only be visiting home."

"And students do not just leave the grounds to go home as they please," Minerva reminded her. "Now enough of this discussion, he only has to get through this year and then he can visit you two on the weekends as he pleases."

Milo chuckled as he moved away from the women and went to go sit on the sofa, but just as he went to plop down, his mother called his name. Immediately, he was standing straight as if he had been called to attention and made his way back over to his mother.

"Yes, Mum?"

"Did you send your gift up to the castle?" She asked him. She watched as Milo nodded his head and then averted his gaze for a moment. 

"I sent it up with Hagrid last night. I know that I should have waited but-"

Before the boy could start with his rambling and second-guess himself, Minerva stopped him and gently guided him towards the front door. Milo could hear the wind whistling, leaving him confused as to why she was leading him towards the cold.

"Uh Mum-"

The door opened and Minerva pointed to a box that remained on the front step of the cottage. "Then who is that for?"

Gwen and Rosmerta gathered in the kitchen to watch with knowing smiles while Milo wore a questioning look on his face. It certainly one that he didn't send up to his friends at the castle or those that had gone home, Milo had made sure to wrap them carefully with brilliant wrapping paper before sending them off.