Chapter Thirty-Five

The End-of-Term feast was taking place and while it was nice to celebrate making it to the end of the term, those gathered in the Great Hall didn't seem very enthusiastic, unless they were seated at the Slytherin table. Once again, it seemed the Slytherins were going to take home the house cup and rightfully so with them having the lead in points. Milo didn't really mind nor did he really care as he sat between Cedric and Heidi at the Hufflepuff table. With as crazed as the school year had been for him, Milo was looking forward to the summer. If the Dursleys allowed it, he was looking forward to spending time with Harry without having to worry about anything going on at the school. 

He was also happy to go back to sleeping in late, with his mother, Rosmerta, and Gwen, all trying to wake him for the better half of the day. Cedric spoke about Milo coming over for some time in the summer so that Milo could practice his quidditch skills for the upcoming year. Of course, Milo was sure that his mother wasn't going to protest to that idea. 

"Oh no, you don't!" Milo was nearly halfway across the table, grabbing Paden in his hands as the bowtruckle was looking to get into some trouble. He snatched him up and sat back down, giving Paden a stern look as Paden chirped in his hands. "Listen, you can move around after the announcements, it's going to get loud in here, with all sorts of commotion. That's usually what happens when the house cup is announced, so stay put unless you want to get hurt."

Paden let out a little discontent huff before crawling up the sleeve of Milo's robes and settling in.  

For the seventh year in a row, the Slytherin banners of emerald and silver decorated the Great Hall while the excited chattering echoed. However, it grew louder as Harry finally arrived after being released from the Hospital Wing. Even Milo's friends couldn't resist, attempting to pry all the information out of him about what had occurred to his brother. But Milo kept his lips sealed. It certainly didn't stop students from standing up on their seats to get a better look at Harry but Dumbledore took care of it as he stood up at the podium to address the school. 

"Another year gone!" The old man began with a bright smile as he looked out at the sea of students. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts...Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

"Third place this year," Max said with a grin as she turned to her friends, " that beats last year when we were dead last."

Her voice was nearly drowned out by the Slytherins hollering in celebration of their victory to come, but Professor Dumbledore apparently had another plan up his sleeve as he continued talking.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," He continued, keeping the smile on his face, "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The entire Great Hall fell silent and the Slytherins didn't look like they were celebrating anymore. Milo turned his head and caught sight of his friend Matilda or rather, Matt sitting at the Slytherin table looking confused along with her house peers.

"Ahem, I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes...First—to Mr. Ronald Weasley...for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

Ron was blushing to the equivalent of a radish, bringing Milo to smile but fifty points was a lot and Milo wondered where Dumbledore was going with awarding so many points at one time. He looked over to his mother, who seemed confused as well, although pleasantly surprised. There wasn't one smile coming from the Slytherin table as they stared at the Headmaster.