Chapter Fourteen

Milo's head was spinning since Hermione had approached him and informed him that Harry along with Ron was meeting up to duel with Draco and his friend. He was conflicted as to how to handle the situation. If he approached Harry, the chances were that he was going to be met with plenty of hostility with his little brother, but if he didn't interfere, he was sure that Harry was going to find himself in plenty of trouble as well. That wasn't going to do any good for Harry as he had just gotten permission to join the Gryffindor quidditch team becoming one of the youngest quidditch players in the history of the school. Milo couldn't go to his mother either, even though she always gave amazing advice, he couldn't go to her that time. On top of that, he was expected to perform his best during the Hufflepuff quidditch try-outs, in order to not only make Cedric proud but his mother as well. 

He was trying to look for all the positives in a negative situation so that he didn't end up losing his mind by the end of the evening. If he did make it through the tryouts and earned a spot on the team, it meant that there was something he and Harry could bond over. After all, their father had been a star quidditch player in his youth. Milo didn't inherit the looks of his parents, he sure as hell hoped he had inherited something to keep their memories alive. 

Arriving at the Quidditch Pitch, Milo was immediately greeted by his friends which including Heidi, Max, and Cedric, who were incredibly ready for him to take his spot on the team. Milo pressed his lips together only offering a wave in return to their excited nature. He was much too hard on himself because already he had begun to think of everything he could do wrong while on the pitch. 

"Milo, relax," Maxine told him placing her hands on his shoulders. "There's no sense in getting yourself all worked up."

"I'm fine, Max, really," Milo tried to convince her, but she had seen through his lies especially as Milo began to tug at the tuft of hair between his fingers. The girl took his hand, opening up his fingers to release the lock of hair and then proceeded to let Milo drop his hand to his side. 

"Look, you know all of us here, don't see it as a tryout, see it more as a game between friends, that's all," Cedric said as he approached. "You're going to be fine."

He knew he could trust in his friends, they weren't going to do anything that would intentionally cause him embarrassment which finally settled the boy's nerves.

"Alright, I'm ready."

While he had been nervous before, as soon as he mounted the broom, a smile appeared on Milo's face as he kicked off the ground. He was a bit wobbly at first, he really had no need to use a broom since he didn't travel often without his mother and Minerva had given up brooms after a terrible accident long before Milo or even his parents were born. Whenever he heard her talk about quidditch, he could pick up on the happiness and sadness. Happy that she had been able to take place in the wizarding sport and was able to do something she loved but sad that it was cut short and tragically with a terrible fall that she still had yet to recover from. 

She told stories to Milo about how she had been the one to encourage James to play in hopes of keeping the Potter boy out of trouble, but that didn't seem to work. He was a troublemaker still with a wicked quidditch talent. Milo always enjoyed the stories that Minerva would tell him of his parents back when they were only students. How smart Lily was, how silly his father could be, and how they couldn't stand each other in the beginning. That always made Milo laugh because it was obvious that they eventually got over that as he and Harry wouldn't have come to be otherwise. 

Thinking of his mother and his parents, Milo felt a surge of confidence as they began the first play. He had been placed in the position of a Chaser, just like his father and he wanted something that he could hold onto and connect to James with.