Chapter Thirty-Three

Milo swallowed nervously as he pushed himself back from the centaurs that had gathered in the clearing, but Paden didn't seem to be unnerved at all as the bowtruckle continued his angry chirping in the direction of the centaurs. Paden had an odd way of showing affection to Milo, he was rather attached to the boy but he wanted to pretend like he wasn't in a lot of ways. But any chance that presented itself where Paden thought that he was going to be away or lose Milo, it was unacceptable. 

The chirps had attracted other bowtruckles that were making their way down the trees towards the scene. Milo had no idea what they were saying as he didn't speak a lick of bowtruckle but he could gather that they weren't very happy. Whatever Paden was telling them was getting them fired up as they chirped as well. Suddenly, it seemed like the forest was drowning in chirps, enough that Milo had to cover his own ears. Similar to the Cicadas species, their small sizes could produce echoing noises through the forest, that even seem to bother the centaurs. 

Bane, who appeared to be the lead and the one that was upset with Milo's presence let out an angry call into the night that caused Milo to shiver. The bowtruckles fell silent as the centaur made his way towards Milo.

"Our stargazing and our connection with the Heavens are not to be discussed with likes of your kind-"

"My kind?" Milo repeated after Bane spoke the words with such disdain. Milo could be nervous as all hell when it came to many things but the boy did not tolerate disrespect. "You say 'my kind' as if we were beneath you."

"Your kind has claimed that ours has always been beneath you. Qualified as near-human intelligence without giving the recognition that we could be equals if not more."

"Are you searching for equality or superiority?" Milo challenged. "I approached this even with every intention of maintaining respect. I will not let you badmouth 'my kind' when I have not done anything to deserve that."

"You are one out of many," Bane told him.

"And one is enough to make a change!" The clearing fell silent for a moment as the boy grew frustrated. "I did not come here to fight or to argue. I came here with every intention of keeping my brother safe. It is my duty and my want to do that as his older brother. Just as you all care for each other out here in the forest, just as the unicorns look after every member of their herd, many of us are no different in keeping the ones we love safe. The Heavens make speak with your privately, you may interpret the stars and planets as you please but if it concerns my brother and myself, we have every right to know!"

Bane stomped his hoof once again, attempting to frighten the boy but Milo was standing his ground until the centaur from before stepped in.

"Bane, he does not understand our ways nor has he meant any disrespect," the centaur said before turning back to Milo. "Milo Potter, you do not understand and you misinterpret words when we speak of interference. Paths are created long before we are ready to take the first step, as centaurs, we get a glimpse of those paths further down, of ourselves and others, however, we do not have the ability to change them. You are destined to walk down your path while Harry Potter is destined to walk down his own until the end."

"Until the end?" Milo repeated with his eyes wide. "You mean end as in death?!"

"Do not attempt to stray from your path, Milo Potter. Do not step into the paths of others. Your destiny is far more important to be fulfilled which is why you must focus on your own path. If your stray, your damage can not be undone. Your damage will be greater than others. I implore you to reconsider interfering with Harry Potter."

"But..." The boy frowned. "He could get hurt...he could...he could die."

It was quiet as none of the other centaurs spoke up as if they didn't have a problem with it. "And you're all okay with that? Not a problem for any of you if an innocent boy dies at the hands of a dark wizard. You don't care because you don't know him...because he's some wizard boy that means nothing to you. I should have realized it was pointless to come out here and ask any of you for help. Because you don't care! That's fine for now, but think about this, Voldemort may have it out for Harry but he has it out for the Wizarding World too. You don't wish to bow to any of my kind, how will it feel when he forcibly makes you bow to him because you couldn't bother to help an eleven-year-old boy? You'll have no one to blame but yourselves!"