Chapter One: Meet Vince Strauss, My Annoying Brother

My eyes flew open when a bang was heard from my door. About two seconds after, another bang was heard. I groaned and grabbed my alarm clock. It’s still five in the morning! I usually wake up during six-thirty in the morning. School starts at eight. Who could possibly wake me up in this ungodly time of hour?

            I narrowed my eyes. I know one person.

            I jumped out of bed and opened my door. Outside, was Vince, wearing a white shirt and blue boxers. On his right shoulder was his towel, dangling. I tried my best to glare at him.

            “What were you doing?” I asked sharply.

            “Waking you up.”

            “At five in the morning?! You know I wake up at six-thirty.”

            Vince just grinned stupidly and ruffled my hair. “Oh, I love you, baby sister,” he said in a cute manner, even though I don’t think it as cute.

            “Why are you waking me up in this hour?”

            “Why, I don’t want you to be late for school!” Vince said, laughing. “Take a bath then come downstairs to have breakfast with me. We’ll have a talk.”

            I frowned. “Talk? Why would we talk? And is there something to talk about?”

            Vince sighed. “Just do what I say.”

            I slammed the door shut on his face. I turned to the direction of my closet, opened it and grabbed my towel. I made my way to the bathroom, yawning. On my way, I saw a calendar hanging on the wall. I squinted to see what date it is.

            March Fourteenth. So it’s been a month already.

            I sighed sadly and rolled my eyes. Now is not the time to feel sorry for myself.

            After I took a bath, I changed to my casual clothes and went downstairs to eat breakfast with Vince. Halfway on the stairs, my stomach rumbled. From where I was standing, I can smell the pancakes and waffles Vince made. Whether I like it or not, Vince is a damn good chef.

            I smiled at Vince when I sat across him. “Morning,” I greeted him.

            “What about the morning?” Vince asked, pretending to be frowning.

            “Whatevs.”

            Vince and I began to eat his glorious and amazing pancakes and waffles. I can’t help to groan when I took my first bite. Vince grinned smugly. “After living with me your whole life, you still practically love my food.”

            “I can’t help it!” I said. “It’s just oh-so good.”

            “So, while you eat with my oh-so good food, we could talk,” Vince said. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “I have two things to talk with you. You choose first: about me or about you.”

            Because I was feeling a little bit self-conscious, I said, “You.”

            Vince sighed. “I was hoping that you’d pick about you,” he said. “Anyways, I have a big news.”

            “So I’ve heard.”

            “Victoria,” Vince said. His voice was stern now. He doesn’t sound like this usually. Only when he was very, very serious or he’s real angry. “This is serious.”