Chapter Sixteen: At the Carnival

I sighed and shook my head, shoving away all the thoughts about falling in love with Ian. It’s just not possible. Sure, Ian is handsome, sweet and he cares about me. I also feel protected, safe and comfortable with him. It’s possible to fell in love with him.

            I sighed once again and walked out of the kitchen. Ian was sitting on the couch, watching TV. Miranda and Evan were nowhere to be seen so I assumed they left.

            Ian looked up to see me and he smiled at me. “Hey. Miranda and Evan left already,” he informed me. I nodded and sat beside him. Then he looked at me, raising an eyebrow. “What did he want?”

            I shrugged. “Just some Miranda things,” I lied smoothly. “You know how crazy he is at her.”

            “Are you sure?”

            I winced internally. I hate lying to Ian. But I have to or else he’ll know his brother thinks he’s using me. I nodded, forcing a smile at him. Oh God, I hope it looks like a smile and not a grimace. “Yeah, sure.”

            Once again, my lying skills didn’t fail me. He breathed a sigh of relief. “Good,” he said and then turned to grin at me. “Hey, you want to go on a date with me? It’s another friendly date, don’t worry.”

            I smiled at him. Of course I’ll go to the date. “Sure—in one condition.”

            “What’s that?”

            “Let’s not go to that Italian restaurant where you took me,” I said, smiling sheepishly. “Lance works there so… Yeah, I don’t want to go there. I don’t want to see him anymore.”

            He smiled, understanding. “Sure. Of course.” Then he winked at me. “Hint: It’s not a date in the restaurant so don’t wear something formal. Casual clothes are okay.”

            I breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank God. So… Friday night?”

            “No, I can’t do Friday night,” he said, wincing and looking away at me. “I… no, not Friday night. How about Saturday morning? Would that be okay?”

            “Sure. If you don’t mind my asking… why don’t you want to go out Friday night?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. Who wouldn’t want to go out Friday Night? I mean, shouldn’t students celebrate during Friday nights after a hell of a week in school?

            He sighed, shaking his head slightly. “I guess you should know,” he said then looked at me right in the eyes. “It’s Patricia’s birthday this Friday. I want to spend Friday night with her.”

            “Oh.”

            “Her… grave is in London but I can always look at the pictures in the album and stuff,” he said, smiling sadly. “Anyway, I need to go.” He stood up in the same time I did. “Bye, Victoria.”

            As he turned, I blurted out, “Wait.” He faced me again and I threw my arms around his neck. I put my head on his chest and squeezed. His body was tense for a little bit and I bit my lip. Did I just cross the line or something?

            After a second, I felt his arms around my waist, pressing me closer to him. I smiled and closed my eyes, contented at our positions. Then I let go of him, smirking. “I thought you’d need a hug.”

            “I do,” Ian said and ruffled my hair. “Thanks, Victoria. See you tomorrow in Literature.”

            “Yep, see you.”