Chapter Two: The Bubblegum-ish Thing

The dismissal bell rang exactly at three-thirty in the afternoon, signaling for the end of classes. I sighed in relief. I was the next one who will read my homework in front of class. Saved by the bell.

            “Ms. Strauss, tomorrow, you are going to read your homework in front of the class,” Mr. Park said.

            “Yes, sir.”

            “Class dismissed.”

            The other students cheered and were already grabbing their bags to get out of this hell. I grabbed my bag and my books and left the classroom in a flash. I walked to my locker and stuffed all my books inside.

            “Hey yo!”

            I rolled my eyes, expecting to see Vince. He always says those things. But when I turned my head, I was shocked to see Suzanne, grinning at me. I frowned and gaped at her. “What did you say?”

            “Uh, ‘hey yo’?” Suzanne said, her brows knitting up together in confusion. “What’s the problem?”

            “Well, Vince always says that! Are you copying him?”

            Suzanne gasped. “Me? Copy that creep? No way! I’m too civilized to copy his moves and whatnots.”

            “What did I miss?”

            I turned and saw Miranda, beaming at us. “You wouldn’t believe what Suzanne said!” I informed her.

            “Okay, what did she say?”

            “She greeted me with a ‘hey yo’!” I said, throwing my hands for emphasis. “Vince usually says those things! Suzanne is clearly copying him!”

            “Ooh, somebody is in love!” Miranda said, laughing her head off.

            “I’m not in love!” Suzanne said, blushing. “Maybe I am! But not with Vince! I’m with Denim, remember?”

            Miranda rolled her eyes. “Don’t remind me of him.” She opened her locker which was beside mine and stuffed her things inside. “He was always pestering me during Algebra class. Ms. Gregg was about to explode because of us.”

            Suzanne giggled. “Aww, he just wants to make friends!”

            “Don’t make him sound like a puppy.”

            “He’s not a puppy!”

            “I didn’t say that.”

            Suzanne rolled her eyes. “Whatever, you guys!” She sighed and looked at me. “Aren’t you going to the football field after classes? Isn’t that what Vince told you this morning?”

            I frowned. “How did you know?”

            “He told me.”

            Miranda suddenly laughed. “So he’s saying stuff like that to you now? You are so going to make a good couple!”

            “Guys, I am in a relationship,” Suzanne said, sounding dead serious. “You don’t want Denim hearing about this stuff. He gets jealous easily.”

            “What about me?”

            We snapped our heads to the direction of the voice revealing a brown-haired six-foot guy. He’s quite handsome, if you ask me. But his brown eyes were saying, Annoy me or die. I seriously don’t know what Suzanne sees in him. I know I’ve always hated Suzanne’s boyfriends—don’t tell her I said that—but Denim is by far, the worst.