Chapter Twenty-Seven: Taken

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us? We don’t mind.”

            I smiled at Suzanne and waved her off dismissively. “I can handle myself. Besides, the only thing I wanted to do is to go at the library and look for some books to read.”

            “Only nerds’ hangs out inside the library,” Miranda pointed out.

            Suzanne cleared her throat. “Nerd present.”

            I rolled my eyes at them. “Seriously. You go on with whatever you do with your lives. I’ll just go and borrow some book inside the library and I’ll go back to my house.”

            “Alone?” Miranda asked.

            I shook my head. “Nah. Maybe Ian’s practice would be over by that time.”

            She gave a short nod. “It better be.”

            I sighed. “So you two go. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

            “Okay. Bye, Victoria.”

            “Take care. Hugs kisses hugs kisses,” Suzanne chirped.

            “Ugh, Suzanne!” Miranda complained, rolling her eyes.

            I laughed as Suzanne and Miranda left me outside the library. I smiled to myself as I stepped in. I’m not with Ian this wonderful Friday afternoon since he has football practice. And so I decided to stop by in the library.

            The librarian, Ms. Parker, a forty-year-old woman smiled at me. “Ah, Victoria, I was wondering why you were not visiting for the past few days,” she said as soon as she spotted me.

            I laughed. “I was just busy. Sorry, Ms. Parker.”

            “Oh, I get it. You want to spend time with your boyfriend, yes?”

            I blushed. “Um… I really don’t know how to answer that.”

            Ms. Parker chuckled. “Answer it with a ‘yes’.”

            I grinned. “So, Ms. Parker, do you have any new books?”

            She shook her head. “Not yet, but next week, maybe we’ll have. I think you have read all the books in this library, Victoria.”

            “No, not all of them,” I said modestly.

            “Oh stop being modest,” she said, rolling her eyes at me. “You know you’re a bookworm.”

            I smiled. That, I know. “You got that right, Ms. Parker.”

            She laughed. “I better leave you on your own. Goodbye, Victoria. See you later.”

            “Yeah, see you later,” I said and walked away. A pity why Ms. Parker never got married. She looks so pretty and she has a kind heart. But she never thought about marrying.

            I shook my head slightly to clear my thoughts. I walked to the far end of the library, where the Nicholas Sparks books were placed. The library was quiet—naturally. Most of the people who were staying here was nerds or just normal people—like me—who likes reading books.

            I reached out to grab The Notebook, a book written by Nicholas Sparks when another hand also reached out to grab it. I immediately turned and felt my eyes widened as I saw the guy who was about to grab the book.