Chapter Twenty: Mending Another Broken Heart

The minute he said the last word, my eyes flew open. He was still on top of me, but his eyes were wide with shock and his mouth was slightly open. Silence fell between us and I can practically hear my heart breaking to pieces.

            He said… he said… A stray tear fell on the corner of my eyes, falling down to my cheek.

            I never fell in love like this before. This is not how I loved Lance. I loved Ian more than Lance even though I’ve just known him for a month. How can I love the wrong people? Why should I fall in love to someone who doesn’t love me? Is this some kind of sick joke? To mess innocent people’s feelings?

            “Victoria…” he softly said.

            I shook my head and opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. Two possible things to say were inside my head and I don’t know which one to say.

            “I thought you were different. I thought you’re not using me because I look like her. But I’m wrong. You’re using me. I should have not fallen in your trap. You’re nothing but a user.” If I say this, I would be playing the poor heartbroken girl.

            “How could you?! I trusted you and worst of all, I loved you! But you’re just using me because I look like your ex-girlfriend! Why are you doing this to me?! I’m not a toy that you could play with, Ian! I’m a girl who was heartbroken once and doesn’t want it to happen ever again!” Now this is more like it. I’d be playing as the very, very poor heartbroken girl. 

            But of course, none of the two things to say came out of my mouth. I just lied down on my back, looking up at Ian with a hurt expression. Am I that gullible and innocent for someone like Lance and Ian to use me like this? Am I really that stupid in love?

            Another tear fell from eyes but this time, Ian reached out to wipe it away. This snapped me from reality and I slapped his hand away. He winced and looked at me, surprised. Then suddenly, as if on impulse, I raced my hand and slapped him hard at the face.

            I never slapped anyone before—ever. When I saw Lance sleeping with Hazelle, I punched him because I know it’ll hurt more. But anyway, when I heard the sickening sound of my hand hitting his handsome face, I stared in shock at him. Both of his hands flew to his cheek, clutching the burning part of his face that I have slapped.

            Then I pushed him off of me, startling him once again and making him fall on the ground. He groaned but I didn’t look back at him to help him. Instead, I got up from the bed and ran away from the room as fast as possible.

            However, Ian recovered quickly and grabbed my hand, stopping me as I was about to open the door. “Victoria… let me explain…” he pleaded.

            Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my cheeks. How can I be so stupid to believe and love him? Why can’t I just fall in love to someone like my brother or Evan? Why should I fall in love to some heartless bastards who love to mess up with innocent girls’ feelings?

            I opened my mouth and suddenly I found my voice. “There’s nothing to explain, Ian. You don’t like me as Victoria Strauss. You’re using me because I look like Patricia! I knew it. Evan warned me. If I just believed him, I wouldn’t be here now and be used! Instead, I went along with my feelings and fell in love with you! I made a freaking wrong turn, Ian. Another freaking wrong turn. I shouldn’t have loved you. I shouldn’t have believed you. You’re nothing but a user.”