Can you say awkward?

Nick 

The moment Olivia started playing on her phone while we drove home, I pulled my phone out to text Demi, when I stopped at a red light. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea. Are you okay?" I hit send, then put the phone in between my legs, so I could feel it vibrate when she responded. If she responded. If I was driving, I knew it would kill me to not be able to look at my phone. The look on my face when I saw Olivia waiting for me was that of surprise & shock. I hoped Demi didn't think the look was happiness, because that is the furthest thing from how I felt. I tried to hide my true feelings from Olivia as she ran into my arms. I had no choice but to grab her or I would have been knocked down. She kissed me before I could even say a word, but I had to, right? I mean I wasn't going to break up with her yet. She would know it was because of Demi.

I had to channel my acting abilities, starting now as Olivia snuggled up against me in the car as I drove. Thankfully, my car has bucket seats, so it wasn't comfortable for her to snuggle too much. She leaned toward me, her hand resting on my leg.

"I can't wait to get home." Olivia said, looking at her phone. She was always connected to someone. It annoyed me sometimes. If she wasn't texting someone, she was taking pictures of herself or us together or anything else she could find. She was always looking for quotes to post online, like it was a job.

"I know. I didn't sleep much last night. I'm exhausted. I can't wait to sleep."

Olivia put her phone on her lap & her hand massaged my thigh. I pretended not to notice. Could I do this? Could I cheat on Demi? She knew it was probably going to happen & she would have to keep pretending things were fine with Wilmer, but I couldn't help the feelings of guilt right now.

"I was thinking we could make whoopee before you go to sleep." She tried to sound sexy, but it wasn't coming across that way. I hated when she used this word. It sounded dumb.

I laughed, for real, imagining how Demi would make fun of her using that word. I can almost see her face in my head, the rolling of her eyes or the way her mouth would curl into an animated shape. "If I can stay awake." I said, knowing damn well, I was falling asleep.

I did hear back from Demi just as I was pulling into the driveway. "I'm fine. See you tomorrow." Was all she responded. I sighed, wishing I could call her & really make sure she was okay.

My mom called me when we got in the house, asking me if Olivia & I were going to be able to come to their house in Toluca Lake for my dad's birthday brunch, that next morning. I said we would. I yawned like crazy after Olivia & I ate dinner. I tried to avoid even touching her. It was hard, because she's so clingy. She always had to have a part of her touching me. Funny, how a few months ago I thought it was cute & now it was like nails on a chalkboard.

I pretended to be asleep, when Olivia joined me in bed & she didn't pursue anything. Olivia wasn't as sexual as Demi. Sex wasn't that great with her either. She kind of just laid there. She didn't like oral sex all that much, especially giving. Olivia was a bit of a prude if I was being honest. I was starting to understand why she was cheated on. There wasn't excitement or passion. I fell asleep for real, dreaming of Demi.

I woke in the morning to see Olivia was already out of bed & probably downstairs working out or talking to Daria on the phone. They talked all the time. Annoying. I jumped in the shower, then less than an hour later, we headed to my parents. On the way there, Olivia was yammering about how excited she was for the concert that night & meeting Demi. I was dreading it, actually.

My mom & Olivia were talking in the kitchen, while I talked to my dad. Hearing my mom mention Demi made me perk up. "What about Demi?" I asked, stepping up to the counter in the kitchen.