CHAPTER 1

Every girl is beautiful in her own way...

That is what my mother always told me. I believed her when I was little, when I was still the innocent Ashley.

It all crumbles when I started pre-school. I thought I was a beautiful princess who will attend a magical ball at Little One's Academy. I even wore my favourite tiara that day and my pink puffy dress.

I entered the classroom wearing my best smile and sit on the first row seat. It was a beautiful day, my Momma prepared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me.

Ten minutes pass and the class starts. I enjoyed the things Miss Celina taught us. We colour some pictures, she even praise my work. Break time comes and that's the time the magical moment ended!

"Look at her she looks like a pink pumpkin." I hear one of my classmates said.

"Yeah she's so fat." The other one said.

I look around to see who their talking too and saw them looking at me. I didn't pay attention to them and started eating my sandwich.

"Look at her she looks like a pig eating a sandwich." I heard them again.

I stand up in my seat and walk to where they are seated.

"Excuse me? Are you talking about me?" I asked them.

"Well you are the only one who looks like a pumpkin to me." Said the snobby girl with blue pony tails I think her name is Bethany.

"Yeah, why are you so fat? Oh maybe she's always eating just like a pig! Oink, oink!" The girl with pretty lavender dress mock me, her name is Casey.

"Go away from us, we don't want a fat girl like you near us!" Bethany pushed me and I fall butt first on the floor. I heard everyone laughed at me. I stand and walk head bow down to my table silent tears falling in my eyes.

That's the first time I realized that I'm not really a princess, I'm not living a fairy tale and I'm an ugly duckling that everyone hates or pity.

Since that day I make myself invisible to everyone, as much as possible I don't want to be notice by anyone. I'm okay being alone because when somebody notices me they either mock me, hurt me, or fake friends with me to get what they want from me. I focus all my time in studying because that's what I'm good at.

I was in grade eight when I met Jenny she's a pretty girl, her brown locks was always shiny, she dress well, everyone likes her, she's the opposite of me.

I'm alone at the school bench near the trash can were no one wants to sit having my usual peanut butter and jelly sandwich when she first approach me.

"Hi! Ashley right? Would you mind if I sit with you? By the way I'm Jenny." She put her tray down at the table and holds out her hand to me. I feel apprehensive at first but when I look into her face I saw her smiling pleasantly at me.

"Ahm..Hi! Yes, I'm Ashley, you can sit down." I said shaking her hand.

"I always notice you sitting alone here. I would like to make friends with you if you don't mind." She said beaming at me and starts eating her meal.

Days pass and Jenny always join me in my lunch, it feels awkward at first but then I get used to it and began to crave for her company.

I know she has many friends, I'm wondering why she sticks with me. I cannot say that we are friends because friends hangout after school right? We are just lunch buddies if there's such a thing as that.

"I'm having my birthday party next week I want you to come." She said handling a purple and pink invitation to me. I read it, it was a masquerade party.

"I'm not sure if I should come, I don't attend parties like this and I don't have something to wear." I told her but deep inside I want to go.

"Don't worry I will tell my mom to help us find a dress for you."

Two days before the party Jenny brought a big garment bag at my house. I helped her carry it up the stairs to my room.

"What are you waiting for open it." She said when I was just staring at it.

Slowly I unzipped the bag and when it finally opened it revealed a yellow ball gown and a matching golden yellow masked. My eyes went wide and I looked at Jenny with a thankful smile.

I touched the gown it was silky, the fabric was glistening whenever it moved.

"Ashley don't just stand there, try fitting it." Jenny mutters from behind me.

I wear the gown and it fits perfectly. I look myself in the mirror, it was beautiful but I think it doesn't suits me. A girl like me doesn't deserve to wear something as pretty as this.

"Jenny I can't take this it's too much and it doesn't suit me. Thank you but you can take it." I said and tried to unzip the dress.

"No, you have to attend my party keep the dress I'll be expecting you."

The day of the party comes, my mom help me prepare for the party she fixed my hair and put some make up on my face, she was so happy seeing me wearing the gown.

I arrived at Jenny's house I can hear cheers, music and laughter outside. Taking a deep breath I rang the doorbell three times. An elderly woman dressed in a maid uniform opened the door and looks at me like she was seeing a ghost.

"Hello, I'm here for Jenny's birthday party." I greeted her and show her my gift.

"Come in." She said and escorts me to the back door of the house.

The noise is getting louder as we walk closer to the back yard.

"Miss Jenny is in the pool." The woman said and opened the door.

I was shock when I step outside, everyone was dressed in their swimming attire and looking at me like I have grown two heads. I scan the crowd and saw Jenny dressed in a red two piece bikini set, wet and talking to her friends. She saw me and smirk, she talk to her friends and point at me. They all started laughing and whispering at the same time.

"I won the bet everyone! Cheers!" Jenny shouts to the crowd and they cheer and hoot at her.

Humiliation washed over me when I realize that all of this was a set up. It was all because of a bet. How could someone be so cruel to use me just to win a bet?

I look at all of them, they are taunting me, making fun of me, some taking pictures of me while laughing. I throw the gift that I bought for Jenny on the floor and run to the door. I didn't cry in front of them. I will not embarrass myself more.

I run and run and run some more until my knees felt numb, I stumbled and fall in my hands and knees and I cry my heart out, until my eyes couldn't produce tears anymore.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Song for this CHAPTER

Barenaked by Jennifer Love Hewitt