CHAPTER 37

Kevin's POV

I return to my mother's room slowly opening the door careful not to disturb her sleep and resume to my seat. I reach for her hand and gently squeezes it and run my thumb at the back of it, she open her eyes slowly and looked at me intently.

"Hi Mom." I greeted her trying to plaster a smile on my face even if I wanted to cry. I have to be strong for her for the both of us.

"Kevin, it's been a long time son. I missed you." Mom smiled weakly at me and tried to get up from the bed.

"Mom don't, you might hurt your self." I stand from my seat and gently grab her shoulders to stop her.

"I just want to hug you son for the last time." She mutter and hold my arm to have a good look of my face.

"Don't say that, you will live. We will get second opinion from the best doctors and have the best treatment for your recovery." I said earnestly hugging her.

"Kevin this is the best hospital for cancer patients like me they have high class equipment and facilities that people with money can avail." She exhale and cough before continuing.

"Son let's just accept the truth that I only have little time to live and make the most out of it. I'm sorry for not being a good mother to you. I hope in my remaining days you will be by my side. I know it is a lot to asked but I hope you and your father reconcile before I go away." She said pleadingly and wipe the tear that escaped my eyes. I didn't realize that I was crying until she brushed it off.

"Call him please I want to talk to him. It will be my last wish to see you have forgiven him and me of our shortcomings."

"Mom I have forgiven you and Dad for what happened in our family. I was just so immature then that I cannot understand things but now I know why all of that happened and I already accepted it." She smiled at me like something has been lifted upon her and close her eyes going back to her peaceful sleep.

I stayed for a little while just watching my mother sleep. I have always been close to her. Between her and my father she was the one who showed affection to me. Once in a while we speak on the phone just to say hi and check each other.

My grandparents arrange their marriage even if my father has another girl he truly love. I know my mother loved my father but he didn't love her in return that is why she gave up and file divorce. She told me that setting him free was the most wonderful thing she had ever did because she gets to see the man she loved happy even without her by his side, that is why I despised my father very much for hurting my mother deeply.

I left my mother's room to go to the cafeteria, I need to calm myself over a cup of coffee before calling my Dad. I thinks it's time to close that chapter of my life and move on.

I was about to dial my father's number when my phone ring, it was Ashley calling. I don't want to talk to her at this moment, I let my phone ring until it stop. She leaves a voice message but I ignore it. I dial my Dad's number and waited until he pick up.

"Hello."

"Hello Dad." I greeted him on the other line.

"Kevin, son how are you? Is everything alright?" He asked surprised and worried at the same time.

"I'm okay Dad, it's about Mom. Can you fly here in Paris as soon as possible?" I told him.

"Why, what happened to her?" He asked concerned.

"She's sick and she wants to see you. Could you come here asap." I said distress.

"Okay I'll take the earliest flight tomorrow."

"Thank you Dad, see you."

After that call I know this will not be the end of my burden it was only the beginning. I never had a good sleep since last week, I decided to go to my hotel to take some rest. Tomorrow will be a stressful day.

"No Alcohol from now on." I reminded my self. I need to be sober for my mother.

*****

The next morning I check on my mother she was still asleep when I arrived. I asked her attending physician if she is allowed to eat her favorite foods, I want her to enjoy even if we cannot leave the hospital. I had my permission so I set up a small table filled with foods that I know she really love.

I'm almost finish when someone knocks on the door. I glance at my mother's sleeping form before opening the door, I saw my father waiting with a bunch of flowers in his right hand. He looks worried, our eyes meet and he give me a strained smile.

"Kevin, son." He engulfs me in a tight hug and I return it awkwardly.

"Dad, come in." I lead him inside. He glance around the room before his eyes focuses on my mother still sleeping peacefully on her bed.

"How is she?" He asked without taking his eyes off her.

I take in a deep breath before answering.

"She has terminal stage lung cancer. The doctor said she only has a month to live." I feel dread delivering the news.

He sigh and walk closer to the bed when his in front of my mother he reach for her hand and hold it gently. I heard him sob and that breaks my heart.

"Victoria forgive me." He said whimpering.

"Dad it's alright." I place my hand in his shoulder.

"No it isn't son. I have been the worst husband. No one deserve to be treated the way I treated your mother. I blame her for the faith we both suffered. I cheated, disrespect and take her for granted just to force her to file a divorce. I even rape her on our wedding night that's why we had you and despite my behavior she tried to fix our marriage but my mind was close off to chances." He was crying like a lost boy. I have never seen my father this emotional.

"I hope the both of you can forgive a fool like me. The heartache I have cost you and your mother. Please forgive me!" He howl like he was in great pain and got down on bended knees before me. Pity washes over me for this broken man.

"Dad I forgive you long time ago. Please stand up let me help you." I crouched down and grab my father's hands and urge him to get up.

"Thank you Kevin ." He hugs me tightly.

"What a pleasant surprise you two have here for me." I heard my mother say. I let go of my father and face her. She had tears in her eyes.

"Of course the most important woman in our lives deserves a special treatment." I said. I know my mother heard everything my father said. I can see her face had been clear of the burden that she's keeping many years ago.