CHAPTER 36

Kevin's POV

Ashley where are you?

How would you look for someone who didn't want to be found? It's been seven days since I last saw her at the clinic, the day she saw me and Jen together was the day I regret the most in my entire life.

I should have told her the truth from the very start. I didn't want to lie to her but I have too. Jen is a close friend and she asked me to accompany her that day because she is not feeling well her pregnancy was very delicate.

I tried to follow her when she drive off but I lost her. Everyday I would go to the places where I thought I would find her and everyday I will come home without her.

The bedroom feels so empty, the bed feels so cold at night, this house was meaningless without her. Alcohol was my only friend these days, they keep me numb for a while and made me forget what a big moron I have been.

I cannot take it anymore and move to my office, I cannot bare the feeling of emptiness while staying at our house. Everything reminds me of her, everywhere I look bare a memory of her. It's like I'm dying every minute that I'm inside this place.

My days was spent waking up in the morning to take some breakfast, driving all over town taking any chance or luck that this day was the day that I will find her until the wee hours of the night. It was frustrating that all I do after was drink until alcohol lull me to sleep.

Maybe she just need time to think, I'm not gonna lose hope that she will come back to me. I know she loves me!

I think it's time to asked for help and the only person that comes to my mind is Billy. I dialed his number but it just keeps ringing and ringing.

"Come on pick it up." I mutter impatiently and call him one last time but there's no luck.

I decided to send a text message and inform him that Ashley was missing hoping that he have any idea where his best friend was.

After several minutes I receives a message from him saying that he haven't known her whereabouts but he will looked for her and inform me if he saw her.

I drove off again without a particular destination in mind, stop my car in some park and watch the people pass by doing their daily activity then suddenly I remember her parents house it's the only place that I haven't search. I know their in a trip Ashley told me but there is no harm in visiting the place just to make sure if she's ever been there.

I drive as fast as I could to reach the place. Anticipation was killing me, I really hope I'll find her there. I missed her terribly. I park my car and inspect my surroundings. I didn't see any indication that she here, even her car was out of sight but I'll look further maybe I'll find something. As I walk to the front door I heard voices coming inside, the door was ajar so I push it open forcefully.

"Ashley, Ashley are you..." I shout but then my voice got stuck in my trout when I saw Ashley and Billy kissing on the couch, all I saw was red and my mind filed with anger and I strode fast in there direction.

I grab Billy by the collar and push him away from Ashley he landed on the love seat shocked.

"Kevin calm down man, it's not what you think. I'm just here to..." the bastard had the guts to talk to me but I cut him off with a mean punch on his cheek. I want to punch the living day lights out of him.

"Oh my God! Kevin please stop! Don't hurt Billy." Ashley stands in front of that bastard to shield him from me. She stare in my eyes daring me to continue. She's protecting that bastard, how could she do this to me!

I stopped, all the anger I'm feeling vanished and replaced by agony.

"I have been looking for you everywhere, I feel like I'm going crazy every minute that fast that I haven't found you. I have been blaming my self and now that I have finally found you I will see this. You and Billy! I have been such a fool!" I scream in anger and punch the wall behind her and walk away tears steaming down my face.

All this time I was looking for a woman who already replace me. Did my simple lie really deserve this much punishment from her?

I return to my office and look for a bottle of brandy, all this pain has to vanish instantly. I was about to pour another glass when my phone rings. The number was unrecognizable but I answered anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hello may I speak to Mr Kevin Knight." A man's voice with a strong accent speaks on the other line.

"Yes, who is this?" I asked.

"I am Dr Martin from Institut Curie, I am calling regarding your mother's health, Victoria." As I heard my mother's name a sense of foreboding washes over me.

"What about my mother? Tell me, is she alright?" I asked alarmed.

"Sir, I suggest you come here immediately because this matter should be discussed in person. All I am going to tell you is she is not in good condition." The doctor said sympathy lace in his voice.

"If that's the case expect me as soon as possible." I want to bawl out but I need to stay calm and clear my mind because my mother needs me.

"Thank you Mr Knight." And the call end.

I look at my surrounding and see the mess I've made. This is not me, I don't want to waste my life again and let my self eaten by depression just like what I do back in college.

I get up and pick up my keys I need to straighten up and put my self in order again my mother needs me more that anything.

I called some contacts and asked for favors to have the earliest flight to Paris tonight. Drive to my house pack my bags and get as soon as possible to the airport.

As I board the plane I think about my mother I remember her as the vibrant lovely woman. Strong beyond her years, never a strand of hair out of place, always compose and in control.

When I arrived at the hospital I was hoping to see the same woman who give birth to me but what welcome me was a frail, small and fragile individual without the spirit and enthusiasm that I have grown up with.

As I walk closer to the hospital bed I had a closer look of her face she was sleeping solemnly but you can see the liveliness gone in her features with the tubes and wires hook up on her. I sit on the chair beside her bed and scan this shell of a woman that is my mother. The doctor peek at the door.

"Mr Knight can I have a minute." He quietly said. I follow him outside the hallway.

"Mr Knight I'm deeply sorry that we have to meet in this circumstances. I would like you to know the real condition of your mother. She has acquire terminal stage lung cancer which we diagnose too late it has spread on other organs and we cannot do anything about it." He explained.

"How long?" Was the only word I master to speak.

"Based on our observations and test she is lucky to have last a month. All we can do now is wait and give her pain killers to lessen her suffering."

"Thank you doc." I mutter and he left. I was calm about the news, I don't know what to feel or I have become numb just to save my self from hurting.