CHAPTER 15

Ashley's POV

The week flies so fast, it was Saturday and I'm getting ready to attend Michelle's wedding later. I bought a peach knee length chiffon dress for the occasion. I lost another 30 lbs and now I'm a size 12. I feel contented about my self. The girl with so much insecurities was long gone and blown by the wind.

I curl the tips of my hair and put a crystal encrusted pin on the left side. My make up was done by Beth, who would have thought that she was a make up artist by hobby.

The wedding will be held in the coast of Waikiki beach at sun set. A very romantic way to have a wedding. The aisle was covered by red and white rose petals, birdcage glass lanterns was lined along the way, on the front was a bamboo arch with white linen fabric that dance with the wind secured by tropical flowers. Every white wood chair has a twine tied to the back of it with a starfish and tropical flowers as a decoration and a name tag for the seating arrangement.

It was a fine day, the weather was perfect for an occasion like this. An usherette guides everyone to their seats, I was seated beside my gym mates. I don't know if it's coincidence or Michelle have something to do with this but Kevin was seated beside me.

Maybe I made a wrong decision in confessing to her that I have a slight crush on him. Now I feel uncomfortable, who wouldn't be when a hot guy was beside you and you can't even glance at him or utter a word whenever his talking. I want to die in humiliation.

Deep breaths Ashley, compose your self... I chant over and over my head.

The wedding march can be heard and everyone stayed quite looking at the aisles. Michelle was in a flowy white gown. The material move whenever the wind blows, her hair was tied in a low bun sideways and three Haku flowers serves as a headpiece on her hair.

She walk slowly to the arch where her husband to be Albert was patiently waiting for her. They were smiling at each other, meaningful glances that only the two of them shared the secrets.

The couple choose a traditional wedding ceremony a Kahuna pule officiated the wedding. The ceremony starts by exchanging Leis (garland) by hanging it around the necks of one another, it was a symbol of love and respect.  

"I Albert, take you Michelle, to be my wife. I promise to love you, only you and cherish you. I will be your companion to share my strengths and achievements. I promise to respect you and be a friend to you. For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health for as long as we both shall live." The groom emotionally said. I can see the happiness in their eyes. The bride did the same with tears in her eyes.

They exchanged rings the Kahuna pule bind the couple's hands with a maile lie after the exchange.

"And now I pronounce you as husband and wife. Honi ka wa'ha, you may kiss the bride." The Kahuna pule announced.

The newly weds shared a very intimate kiss, everyone cheered and hoot at the same time.

In the reception they present native Hawaiian foods for the guest to enjoy like Poi, Laulau, Kalua pig, and Poke. Everyone eat heartily.

After our sumptuous meal Michelle and Albert do their first dance as a couple to the sound of Ke kali nei au the Hawaiian wedding song. I was watching them when someone tap my left shoulder.

"Can I have this dance?" Max said offering his hand to me smiling. I was startled, I didn't notice him at the ceremony.

I hesitated for a minute but when I saw that his pretty confident that I will agree I take his hand and said yes.

Curiosity get to me so I asked.

"I didn't notice you at the ceremony." I said.

"Well I'm a little bit late so I stayed on the back." He said scratching the back of his head.

"Are you friends with the couple?" I asked.

"Michelle is my cousin and Albert is my friend so it was basically my fault why we are celebrating a wedding today. How about you?" He smiled charmingly at me and shrug his shoulders.

"Michelle is my former trainer then we became good friends." I told him.

"And now Kevin is your new trainer. You know he is the co-owner of the gym. I'm a former trainer too but the job at the firm was so demanding that I have to give up my love for fitness and focus on that job. It was sad I know." He said pouting.

I laugh at his silliness. He was a funny man. His good looks and sense of humor was refreshing. We dance and talk, I didn't realized we finished four songs already.

"Excuse me bro, May I?" Kevin appears out of nowhere.

"Sure Kevs."

"It was nice talking to you Ashley, I'll see you at the office." Max told me and gave my right cheek a kiss.

Kevin took my hands and put it in his shoulders then his hands slips slowly on the side of my waist to the small of my back. The feeling of his warm hands was deliciously good. I take a deep breath to calm my self.

"Nice outfit Ashley. You look absolutely beautiful tonight. I can see your enjoying the night." Kevin said meaningfully.

"Thank you, you don't look bad yourself. Yes, the wedding was a bliss and very romantic." My heart skips a bit when I heard the compliment but I have ready myself for this situation.

"So you and Max?" He asked looking at me.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"I mean he has a thing for you, he likes you." He said.

"It's not what you think. He was just friendly, that's all." I told him.

"If that's what you think, but I know better."

We dance slowly to the music, I steal glances at him and every time I did I  caught him staring at me.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Kahuna pule - Holy man.

Honi ka wa'ha - kiss the bride.

Ke kali nei au - Hawaiian wedding song.

Maile lie - a garland made of green maile leaves with white pikake flowers woven together. It symbolized an unbroken circle that represents the couple's eternal commitment and devotion to one another.

Haku flowers - instead of a veil the bride wears flowers in her hair especially haku flowers.

Poi - thick paste made from taro roots.

Laulau - pork wrapped in layers of taro leaves cooked in an underground hot rock oven.

Kalua pig - pork slowly roast cooked in an underground oven called imu.

Poke - Hawaiian version of Japanese sashimi.