Batgirl: Break the code (part eleven)

Part eleven: Library Fuss

Gotham Library

Kara walked inside the building full of books wearing simple jeans and a plain shirt under her black cardigan. Her brown ankle-high boots clicked as she stepped on the wooden floor of the hundred-year old library.

|I always feel welcome whenever I enter libraries, especially Babs' work place.|

She fixed her glasses and walked towards the counter where Barbara Gordon was with her friend, Reese. She was checking the CCTV cameras installed all over Gotham. Kara walked towards their circular desk and smiled at Barbara.

"Nice to see Reese keeping you company." She said, gaining their attention. Barbara and Reese looked up from the monitor and immediately smiled when they saw the young Gordon.

"Kara! I missed you!" Reese exclaimed, hopping over the desk and hugging the raven-haired girl. Barbara giggled, watching the two hug each other as a greeting.

"It's been a while, Reese. Are you taking good care of my sister here at work?" Kara asked, pulling away from the hug.

"If you call playing with my wheel chair and snatching my glasses "good care" then he had done an excellent job." Barbara snorted, folding her arms over her chest. Kara laughed and placed her hands on her hips.

|It's been a while since I last laughed like that. That's good, I think.|

"Anyway, while you and Reese play I spy using the CCTV, I'd like to know if there are new books about computers." She said, looking around the library. Barbara studied her sister's figure, wondering if she'll try breaking the code again.

"Yeah, we have new books by Shelf twenty-five. You'll find it once you look at it." Reese said, pointing to the higher level of the library. Kara smiled gratefully and nodded.

"Thanks, I'll see you two later." She waved, turning around to look for new books. She climbed the wooden steps to the second floor of the library and went to the twenty-fifth shelf. A plaque was placed on the wood stating, SHELF 25.

"Let's get back to work." Kata muttered under her breath. She climbed the black library ladder and went to find the new books Reese told her. She slid from her position to the other end of the shelf, eyes scanning the spine of the books.

"Reese lied," she muttered. "I can't even see it."

Slowly looking up, she decided to climb a few more steps and check the top of the shelf. And luckily, she found one of the newest books in the library.

"Got it!" Kara exclaimed, successfully grabbing the book from the shelf. She went to climb down the ladder until she missed a step and started falling down with her book flying upwards. It landed on the top of the shelf, but Kara's mind wasn't in the book anymore.

|That was the most embarassing experience I ever had in the library. I'm a vigilantè! How could I make such a mistake like that?|

Kara closed her eyes, preparing for the impact that awaits her. The floor got closer and closer, BAM!

Her back hit the hard wooden floor forcefully. Kara groaned, rubbing her temples with her eyes still closed.

"That was an unpleasant fall," she heard the most annoying voice in the universe comment. She opened her eyes and saw Bruce Wayne's youngest son looking down at her with a sly smirk on his face.

"How long have you been watching?" She asked, sitting up from her position. Damian tucked his hands in his hoodie pockets and shrugged.

"Long enough to see all of it." He replied.

"And you haven't even thought of catching me?!" Kara scoffed.

|How dare he? He just watched me fall and land on my back! This boy is a demon!|

"If I were to catch you the results would've been the same." Damian said, watching her stand up and recover from her fall.

"No, I wouldn't have hit the floor." Kara said, folding her arms over her chest.

"But, you'll still be mad at me for catching you." Damian argued, staring at her with a poker face. Kara's eyes widened. Damian was right, she would be mad either way. But, why would she?

"I.....fine, sorry." She muttered, turning around to face the shelf again. She climbed the ladder and went to the top of the shelf to retrieve her book.

"You know, you might fall again." Damian warned from below.

"I fell once, I can handle myself." Kara retorted, grabbing the book. The ladder started to shake and she groaned, looking down to see Damian shaking the ladder with both hands. She glared at him.

"How are you gonna go down now?" Damian smirked, shaking the ladder more. Kara started stumbling and lost her footing on the step. She fell again, but this time, Damian caught her. He held her bridal style, her book resting on her stomach.

"I hate you, you know that, right?" Kara asked him with a glare. Damian shrugged and set her down in her feet.

"You may have shown that to me twice or thrice." He said. Kara rolled her eyes and went to the reading area on her floor.

|Honestly, that boy can be a real pain in the butt. Can't he just go to his own library back at the manor?|