Batgirl: Break the code (part twenty-nine)

Part twenty-nine: Homecoming

Gotham Academy, Music Room

"Ms. McLean said that we have to perform for the homecoming dance." Louise said, twirling her drumsticks.

Kara grabbed her black and gold electric guitar and connected it to the amplifier. Lowering the volume, she strum the string a bit to check if it's in tune.

"We're gonna rock that dance," Riley smirked, grabbing her red and white electric guitar. Christine walked towards the keyboard and turned it on.

"Guys, we all know about Kara's issue in the school this year." She said and everyone instantly shut up. "In homecoming, we'll show them that she's the coolest girl in this school and pour punch on Tiffany's petty hair!"

They all laughed, imagining how ugly that would be.

"So, Kara will be the lead singer this time." Riley said with a smirk. They all turned to her and saw her playing with her guitar, not paying attention to what she just said.

I followed my heart into the fire,
Got burned, got broken down by desire.
I tried, I tried but the smoke in my eyes,
Left me blurry, blurry and blind.

I picked all the pieces up off the ground,
I've burned all my fingers but that's gone now.
Got the glue in my hands and stickin' to the plan,
Stickin' to the plan that says "I can"

Do anything, at all,
I can do anything, at all.

This is my kiss goodbye!
You can stand alone and watch me fly!
'Cause nothing's keeping me down
Gonna let it all up
Come on and say right now, right now, right now

This is my big hello!
'Cause I'm here and never letting go!
I can finally see, it's not just a dream,
When you set it all free, all free, all free!
You set it all free!

Kara started playing the instrumental part of the song, lost in her own little world. Her friends jaw-dropped, watching as their friend sing passionately. The song wasn't annoying or irritating. It was music.

|I don't remember how I even started playing that. My fingers just started plucking on the strings like nothing and soon enough, my pick joined.|

A knock interrupted her, snapping her back into reality. They all turned to look at the door and Kara's eyes widened when she saw Damian leaning against the door casually, smirking a bit at her.

"Wayne?"

"Damian Wayne!" Her friends exclaimed, gawking at the richest boy in Gotham Academy.

Kara sighed, setting her guitar on the guitar stand as gentle as she could. She has a soft spot for instruments and computers, they're basically her life.

"Gordon," he said. "Pennyworth's back outside waiting for us."

"Us!?"

"Wait, you're giving me a ride home?" She asked, walking towards him.

Damian simply nodded, thinking of nothing wrong about that. He tucked his hands in his pockets and stood up straight, looking over her shoulder to see the electric guitar she was using.

"You were great," he smiled. "And the song really compliments you."

"Am I supposed to be happy or sad because I'm confused." She laughed, forgetting about her friends watching them. Damian smiled warmly at her, seeing the twinkle on her eyes.

"Well, if you're staying to practice for homecoming, then I'll wait for you."

"Wait!?"

"Are you sure? Your father might get mad." Kara sighed.

"He won't, you are the one I'm waiting for. And besides, we still have to make that project for science together." He replied, walking inside the room. He closed the door and went over to the piano bench, making himself comfortable.

"But, what about Alfred?"

"I'll call him."

"There's no getting away from you, is there?"

"Nope."

"Fine,"

Kara trotted back to her friends who were staring at them with wide eyes. She closed their mouth and smiled lightly.

"Let's start practice." She said.

The girls shook their head and shut their eyes as if they were just broken off from a trance. They looked at her then to Damian then back at her.

"Are you two dating?"

|What!? Down to hell, no! Why would they say that!? I mean, sure Damian and I talk but that doesn't mean we're dating! What, you see me and Babs talking. Are we dating, too!?|

"No," she said calmly, trying to supress a smile. "We're not."

"Did he ask you to homecoming?"

"No,"

"Did he ask you out?"

"No,"

"Kara!" They whined, stomping their feet.

"What?" She whined back, stomping her feet as well.

Damian chuckled at how she acted with her friends, glad that she has more of them now. He kept her away from the bullies the entire time, protecting her in each way possible. It was like a Robin mission done by Damian Wayne.

"We should really start practice, though," Kara said. "We wouldn't want our parents to get angry now, would we?"