Batgirl: Break the code (part fifty-five)

Part fifty-five: Prom

Gotham Five-Star Hotel

As Kara and Damian head inside the luxurious hotel, Kara couldn't help but feel a little uneasy on how the other students were looking at them. A few girls were glaring at her, hard. Some boys were glaring at Damian and eyeing her like a piece of meat. It took all of her will power to keep her from pouncing on them and beat the living crap out of them.

|Is it bad that I want to drag Damian out of here and just be alone with him for a while? Maybe it is, I don't know. But I'm starting to feel uncomfortable around these people.|

Kara can feel Tiffany and her group of petty girls glaring at her, which made her smirk a bit. She can still remember the day Tiffany embarassed herself by trying to humiliate her, but the tables have turned so fast.

"Are you alright?" Damian asked.

It's not until he spoke that she noticed that she was staring at her dress. A few strands of her hair fell to her face, bit she quickly tucked them behind her ear and smiled up at her partner.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She replied.

"Just tell me if you feel ill or sore, okay? Your injuries are still healing, Kara. I don't want you to feel sore. Maybe we should head back home and let Penmyworth tend your--"

"Wayne, I'm fine." She repeated.

"Bu--"

"Damian, I don't want to ruin your night. This is our first prom and we should have fun. I can deal with some sore arms. I've been through worse cases." She smiled.

They stopped in the middle of the crowd, Damian's body facing hers as she hold his hand gently. He had a worried look on his face, his eyes piercing into hers as if he was trying to read her.

"How do you do it?" He asked.

"Do what?" She asked back.

"You...." he trailed off.

"I?"

"How can you be so....tough and all that when you just got out of a traumatizing experience? How can you make me feel like I'm the happiest person alive? How can you....how can you make me feel?" He asked.

Kara's eyes widened at his words, her mouth opening slightly.

|Did Damian really say that? Is this even Damian? I swear I'm with an opposite version of him.|

Instead of asking him if he was alright, Kara replaced her shocked look with a happy one and smiled lightly.

"I have no idea myself," she said. "But one thing I know is that you make me really happy too, Damian."

He was pleased to hear those words come out of her mouth. It felt like hearing every kind of thank yous all at the same time. Maybe even better than that.

Damian replies with a wide smile that he rarely shows and dragged her to their table with their friends. They eat, they chat, they laugh, it was a good time. The feeling of ease and relaxation filled Kara and Damian's body. For one night, they were able to do something they deserve. For one night, they get to enjoy themselves and not think about the city's safety. For one night, they were free.

An hour later, Kara left the group and went backstage to meet her band mates for their performance tonight. She held her electric guitar on one hand as she approach the group and smiled, tapping Riley's shoulder.

"You're here!" She exclaimed.

"Of course I'm here. Can't let you have all the fun, right?" Kara smirked.

"Whatever, now let's rock this stage!"