Batgirl: Break the code (part sixty-two)

Part sixty-two: Love

Wayne Manor

"Gordon?" Damian asked.

He stood in front of her room, waiting for her to answer patiently. When he heard nothing, he decided to turn the door knob and push it open. Luckily, it was unlocked. As he walk inside, he noticed the pieces of paper scattered on the floor. He closed the door, his eyes focused on Kara's back as she sat on the edge of her bed.

Damian sat beside her and held the edge of the bed with both hands, looking at her teary eyes.

"Hey," he smiled sadly. "I know that it's hard making your father understand, but he'll come along."

|He doesn't understand.|

"Damian," she mumbled. "Do you have any idea why I was acting off lately?"

"I noticed that you were off, but I don't know why. Care to tell me?" He asked back.

She pulled her knees up to her chest, resting her chin on them as her arns wrap around her legs. She forced her tears back, not letting a drop fall.

"Today's the day I first failed saving someone." She said.

Damian stayed silent, waiting for her to continue her story. It would be best to listen instead of interjecting.

"I was seven back then, and I already knew how to fight. There was this little girl I met at school before. She's so bright, so talented, she's what any typical girls would be. She was my best friend, but I didn't get to save her from the Joker. We were just walking out of school when he shot her straight in the head. I could've prevented it. I should've done something. But I didn't. And now, I almost killed all of yo--"

"You didn't,"

"Yes I did! Gosh, do you know how reckless sabotaging your mother can be? There were hundreds of assassins in that room, Damian. We were outnumbered, but you and the others went there for me. I could've killed you all!" She yelled.

She stood up from her bed, frustratingly combing her hair back with her hand as the other went to her hip.

|It's all my fault. They wouldn't be tied into this mess if I just solved this case since it started.|

"Yeah, and so what? We did all that for you, Kara. We fought for you." Damian argued.

He stood up as well, facing the young Gordon with his hands firmly holding her shoulders.

"We were willing to die for you, Kara. Can't you see that? Every time you go risking your life out there, have you ever thought of how much your death can affect all of us? You're important, Kara. We love you. And you're not in this alone." He added.

|Is it bad that I feel so turned on by this?|

|Is it bad that I just want to...|

"I don't deserve you," Kara said. "I don't deserve you or Bruce or Dick or Barbara or any of you guys. Gosh, I'm so selfish."

Tears started rolling down her cheeks, a sign that she can't take it anymore. Damian's features softened, his left hand cupping her cheek.

"I don't--I don't......"

"Shhh,"

Damian's hand went to the back of her head as he pull her into his chest, letting her cry and cling on to him. Kara hugged him tightly, afraid to let go. She felt safer in his arms, his hand rubbing soft circles on her back as his other hand stroke her hair softly.

|...kiss him?|

"You'll be alright," he whispered. "I'll always be here for you, Kara. I promise you."

And as he whisper those words, Kara felt like the luckiest person in the world. Being safe in his arms, hearing his comforting words, knowing that he cares is enough for her to rise back up.

Barbara stood in front of Kara's slightly opened door, watching the two teens with a small smile on her face.

"Thank you, Damian." Barbara whispered softly.

She headed back to the Batcave to talk to her father and left Damian to fix her broken sister.