Why?

*Tyler's POV*

"Happy?" Steele smirked, sinking down in his seat and sipping his beer like he'd won the Olympics instead of a little argument. Honestly, right now, I could care less about what he thought of me or who won an argument. All I could think about was the way Troye's face had twisted up just before running off. I'd never seen someone have their heart snapped in half, I mean, I'd felt it but I'd never seen it first-hand. I felt like my chest was caving in on me as I stared at the restroom door, wishing he would come running out any second with his usual toothy grin and cheerful persona. But five minutes later when we'd already ordered, there was still no sign of Troye.

"I'm going to check on him." I announce, hopping awkwardly over Connor to get out of the booth. I started toward the door but felt Steele grab my sleeve.

"Tyler, the best thing you can do for him is give him distance. He needs time to get over you. That's what you want, right? You want him to have a shot at happiness with someone else?" I'd never pictured Troye with anyone else. I mean, I'd never really pictured him with me either but never with anyone else. The very thought of it gave me a choking feeling in my throat so I knew something was up. I stood there in silence, pawning it over in my mind.

"No, it's not." I mumble before rushing off to find Troye. I did stop to glance over my shoulder and was happy to see that for once I'd caught Steele off guard.

I burst through the door and got a couple of weird glares from two dudes washing their hands, but I didn't care.

"Troye?" I call, knocking on the only closed stall. I heard him sniffle before replying.

"Get out of here. Go eat your food, I'm fine, trust me." 

"Come out here and talk to me, Troye Sivan."

"What is there left to talk about?" He yelled, opening the door angrily. I noticed the way the other two guys panned out as soon as they heard him yell. He had a thick coating of tears covering his entire face that broke my heart even more. 

"Troye." I choked out, shoving him back into the stall and closing the door behind us. I wrapped him up into the tightest hug I could manage and rubbed his back with one hand.

"I am so sorry. The last thing I wanted was to hurt you." My voice is so scratchy it sounds like I'm the one that just got their heartbroken. 

"I should start getting paid every time you apologize to me. I'd save up enough to move to the US in no time. Then there'd be one less thing against us." He chuckled, wrapping his arms around me finally.

"Troye." I felt tears rolling down my face. I hadn't cried in months, I never cry. I didn't even cry when most of the One Direction fandom attacked me, why am I crying now? I was sort of relieved we were hugging and he couldn't see my face in this moment of weakness.

"I'm sorry, I'll drop the subject. I understand talking about us being together probably makes you uncomfortable."

"Why would it?"

"Well, because you don't want to be in a relationship with me."

"Troye Sivan Mellet, you totally misunderstood what I meant out there. I said that we wouldn't work out, not that I didn't want us to." I felt Troye backing out of the hug to look at me and tried to wipe my tears off on his shirt to no avail.

"So, if I was older and not from the other side of the world, you would date me?"

"It'd be nice if you didn't have a brother set on breaking us apart too, but hell yes I would date you. I'd probably propose right here, right now."