Stupid

*Troye's POV*

By the time I landed in Australia I was not only exhausted from sleep deprivation, but from my hectic thoughts and quick sobbing sessions during the flight as well. I'd gotten shushed countless times from the business man sitting next to me, and I'd really tried for his sake to get myself under control. But I couldn't do it. Eventually he just gave up and let me weep in peace. I was nearly home now though, so soon I'd be free to sob and screech as much as I pleased. I really hoped Sage hadn't broken into my ice cream stash, but chances are she had.

As soon as the taxi dropped me off at the end of my driveway my family began filing out of the house, making repulsive squealing noises and running at me with open arms.

"Stop." I said flatly, imitating the wonderful Miranda Sings. They seemingly didn't hear me because I was wrapped up in an uncomfortable family-wide hug a split second later. I squirmed until I eventually broke out of their embrace and started across the yard without uttering so much as a greeting.

"Troye? Is everything okay?" My mother asked, her tone suddenly very serious. I shrugged and opened my mouth to say something, surprised to find myself choking up. My tough expression faltered for just a moment and a single tear slid down my face, but that was all it took to send my mother into hyper-protective mode.

"What'd he do to you, baby? I should have known not to let you go to his house! God! How could I have been so stupid?"

"Mom, it's fine. He didn't do anything."

"Then why do you look like you just witnessed someone murder a puppy?" I spun around, surprised to see Steele standing a few feet away from me. It wasn't often he visited, I wonder what he's doing here now. Regardless, I'd better act like the fact he's here doesn't phase me.

"No, Steele, he really didn't do anything." I said harshly, trying to stomp past him into the safety of the house. He grabbed my arm though and shook his head.

"If he didn't do anything you wouldn't be acting like this. You never skip family reunions, even if you've only been gone a day. Spill it." I balled my fists up, angry he wouldn't just let it go. Where did he get off acting like some sort of concerned older brother? It was him that wanted this outcome from the beginning. Hell, for all I know this could even be his fault.

"No, that's just the thing. He didn't do anything. He didn't fight for me, he didn't give me a proper explanation of what went wrong, he didn't even love me!" I spat, my knees suddenly giving out underneath me as I fell down to the grass-covered lawn. I heard my mother's worried sharp intake of breath as she knelt beside me and draped an arm around my shoulders.

"There, there, baby, he doesn't deserve you anyway if he was willing to let you go so easy. Just forget about him." I shook my head so quickly tears flew everywhere and crawled away from her.

"How do I forget about the best thing to ever happen to me?" She gave a sympathetic smile and shrugged.

"Find a new best thing?" I considered her suggestion for a second, I really did. But all too soon I had to reject the idea. I didn't even want to get over Tyler if I could. 

"Yeah, that'd be a start." I said, trying really hard to fake enthusiasm. Either it worked or she suddenly decided I wasn't such a big deal, because she got up and started toward the front door.

"I just bought some ice cream, interested?"

"You have no idea." I mumbled, getting to my feet. I started toward the house but the words that pierced the comfortable silence a moment later made me stop in my tracks.

"I'm going to make him pay for this." I had to physically hold myself back from hauling back and punching Steele in the face. If he hurt Tyler I would never be able to forgive him.

"Like hell you are! You leave him alone, Steele, or I will make you pay."

"Big threat from the guy with tear stains all over his face."

"Why do you care so much anyway? I never interfered with your love life, why are you so interested in mine?"

"Because you're stupid, Troye. I love you to the moon and back, but you are the most naive person I've ever meant. You trust in everyone so blindly and it's sweet, but it's also fucking stupid. One of these days someone is really going to hurt you, even worse than Tyler has. I just want to try and prevent that from happening."

"Did you ever think that maybe if you keep this up you'll be that person? You're not helping me, Steele." I said harshly, turning on my heel and stomping into the house before he could reply.

Why was my life such a mess all of the sudden? All I did was follow my heart, since when is that the wrong thing to do?

A/n: I know this was a short chapter and I'm sorry, but this is sort of a filler kind of thing seeing as you needed to know what was going on with Troye but there also wasn't much to say about it. Tyler, on the other hand, has a lot ahead of him, which you will see next chapter. If you're absolutely distraught about the short chapter I now have a Troyler reading list of some of my absolute favorites, if that interests any of you. Otherwise, look forward to the next update! Love you buttfaces, don't forget to comment/vote!