Next To You

*Tyler's POV*

I hadn't meant to make Troye nervous, but I obviously had. Everything had been going fine, better than fine really. We were having a cute moment, play fighting over my little stew prank, when we'd been so rudely interrupted. At the time I'd felt bashful, realizing that we were probably making them uncomfortable with our displays of affection. But when I looked up, they didn't look uncomfortable. In fact, his parents even seemed to be enjoying watching our antics. The only person that even looked slightly irked was Steele. Upon realizing that was the case any trace of guilt I'd had disappeared. If they didn't find it awkward then he had no reason to either! He was just doing it to be an ass, because he didn't like me. I didn't care about that, I didn't need his approval to be happy with myself. What I did care about was the fact he was annoying Troye, he was ruining moments with Troye that I could never get back. I didn't even know what I was planning on doing when I asked him to talk. Were we going to have a heart-to-heart or end up kicking each other's asses? All I knew was we couldn't go on like this for any longer. Troye and I were going to be together for a long time yet, and I'd be damned if I let him jeopardize that. 

We were almost to the door now and I could feel Troye's eyes boring into the back of my head, a silent plea for me to turn around and come back to him. I wanted to, I really did. There was absolutely nothing I'd rather do than just go back with him and spend every waking moment by his side, but until I sorted this out with Steele that wasn't an option. The door swung shut behind me and I squinted at the sudden harsh light. Steele took advantage of my sight difficulties though, immediately shoving me backward. I gasped, crashing against the wall of the building. My eyes were adjusted by now and I could easily tell he was fuming. His hands were already balled up into fists and I got the feeling he planned on using that to his advantage. I sighed inwardly. This hadn't been the outcome I'd wanted. He'd kick my ass, that much was for certain. Even if I wasn't incredibly short and dainty, I was a lover not a fighter. 

"What's wrong with you?" He roared, taking another step toward me. I'd never admit it or show it, but I was terrified. I'd never been in a hands-on fight in my life, and I'd planned to keep it that way. As far as I was concerned any problem could be solved with words, but Steele didn't look capable of forming any right now.

"Coming from the guy who just pushed me up against a wall without reason? What's wrong with you?"

"Some lowlife is taking advantage of my baby brother when he's hurting, that's what." He spat, grabbing the collar of my shirt and holding me off the ground. I didn't even think people could do this in real life, I thought it was a movie thing, but obviously that wasn't the case. I squirmed around, flailing my legs around until they came into contact with one of his knees. He cursed, but it did get him to drop me. After a couple of seconds of examining his leg he stood back up. I could nearly see smoke fuming out of his nostrils like in cartoons. He started toward me and a squeal escaped my lips as I dodged, running across the parking lot.

"Where are you going? Get back here!" Steele yelled, chasing after me. So much for not admitting I was scared. I continued running until I ran out of parking lot, and then continued down the road. I was surprised he was still following me truthfully. Either he really wanted to beat my face in or he didn't want to have to explain it to his family when he came back alone. I looked around hectically, eventually deciding to take the road to the right.

I continued running until I was certain my legs were going to give out. Reluctantly I stopped, leaning back against the wall of a building for support. I closed my eyes, concentrating on evening out my breathing. 

"Tyler." I nearly jumped out of my skull hearing the voice so close to my ear. I backed up, only to realize I was against a wall. I opened my eyes slowly, prepared to take a hit if necessary. The blow didn't come though, instead I just made eye contact with the angry man before me. Why wasn't he punching me?