• Chapter 01 •

• Chapter 1 •

I slip into my flowy blue dress. Today is my big birthday bash. I'm turning 18, and everyone is waiting for me to come out looking perfect.

"Knock knock," my mum walks through the door. When she sees my dress, she gasps.

"Renn you look beautiful!" she cups her mouth with her hand and admires me.

"Thanks," I gush.
"Now, before you go off with all your friends and such, I wanted to give you my gift."
"Okay..."
"Now that you're 18, you'll be moving out soon and going off to Uni. My gift to you, is a unit near UNSW. It's a bit far from home, but since I paid for your unit, you could save some money for a house near us."

I can't believe my ears. This is great!

"Everything is furnished, the appliances are a little used, but it's nothing you can't handle," says Mum, "but the place is perfect. It's a walking distance from the campus."

Yes!

"Thank you so much Mum!" I yell, engulfing my mother's skinny figure in a hug. We sway side to side.

"Now get out there and have a great birthday party," she says, pushing me out the door.

I walk out and everybody claps, a light shining right at me.

There's heaps of people here, most of them are my friends back in Parramatta, before my big move six years ago. I kept in contact with them, and they were the best of friends, considering kids at my past schools never liked me here.

"Happy 18th Renn!" Luke yells into the microphone. Did I tell you they were here?

I'm doing them a big favour, my parents offered them big money for playing her for an hour or two. They get to play around and do whatever, making some of my girl friends scream.

I wave at the band on the stage and I am greeted by a few of my friends.

*****

"This is a smashing party," says Jana.
"I know," I agree.
"So why is Luke's band performing if you don't like them?"
"They're leaving for their North American tour soon and Michael told my parents that it'd be cool for them to play here."
"You know, Luke isn't that bad."
"You say that now. When he finally gets into your pants and leaves you, you won't be saying that."
"He isn't like that... is he?"
"I've been hanging around him for 5 years, and he's had about... 18 girlfriends. Well not even official girls."
"Liar."
"Yeah I'm lying, but who cares? He's desperate for something he can't get."
"Renn he's lead singer in a kick-ass band, he can definitely get some."

I roll my eyes and someone taps my shoulder. It's my older sister, Verona.

"The cake's coming out. Let's go," she tells me.

I follow her to the middle of the room where the big 4-tiered cake sits and the 18 large candles illuminate my face.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Florence
Happy birthday to you!

I lean forward and close my eyes, wishing.

I wish for the cake not to explode.

And I blow the candles.

Everyone claps and I smile at them. The photographers snap photos at every angle and I continue to cut pieces for everyone. When I'm finished, I take a bite myself.

Uh oh.

"Anything wrong Flora?" asks Luke, snickering as he takes a bite. "Mmm, yummy cake, what is this? Peanut?"