• Chapter 17 •

hey guys! quick little note! lol okay so this chapter is just like half a page shorter than usual, and there's no reason for it. but i just wanted to thank everyone for reading my story :) there's like 20-ish of you voting every chapter and im so overwhelmed with happiness that you all love it so much!

• Chapter 17 •

Renn

It's crazy how days flow by so quickly. It seems like yesterday Michael told me he joined a band with Luke. And it seems like yesterday I hated Michael and Calum for joining the 'dark side.'

I guess you can call me brainwashed as well. Michael had told me when I first moved to Riverstone that Luke should not be talked to. He was a jerk, and I would only get hurt when I spoke to him. As any 12 year old did, I believed him, and also because Michael was my best friend, I trusted him.

"That would go perfect right there," I say to Jana. We're in my unit near the university. It's about a 40 minute drive from home, and I'm actually really excited to start the university life. Verona has graduated last year, and has told me great stories. Not only parties and such, but great lectures.

Jana is moving in, and we've decided to pay bills and other payments split. She has one room, I have the other. "I can't believe we're in university," says Jana.

I watch as she hangs her favourite oil painting perpendicular to her bed. "It seems like yesterday you told me you had a crush on Calum," I joke.

"Do NOT bring that up!" she laughs. Jana had the biggest crush on Calum while he was still in school. He was one of the best soccer players we had, and rumour says he passed up on an opportunity to represent Australia in soccer for the band.

"But it happened," I say, "so I'm allowed to."

"Okay, then I'm allowed to talk about little froggy kisses," says Jana. My mouth opens wide and I gasp loudly.

"No no no no! You are not!" I yell.

'Little froggy kisses' is our inside joke. In Year 4, I kissed a boy named Johnny Rousseau. He was a kid that transferred from France, and he worked with my dad until they moved in Year 6. Johnny had the thickest lips, and when we kissed, they were slimy with saliva and I almost threw up. So that's how we got the nickname, frog for french and frog for lips.

The doorbell rings while Jana and I are both laughing and I run to get it. I turn the doorknob to show Luke. He's got bags under his eyes, and he always does but these are worse. His nose is red and he's sniffling. Luke whispers my name and I pull him into a hug.

Luke cries into my shoulder and holds me tightly. "Don't leave me," he pleads.

"Don't leave me." He repeats the words over and over while he cries. I hold him tighter, and closer until our fronts are compacted.

"Luke I'm not going anywhere," I say.
"Promise me," he says, into my neck placing soft kisses on it.

"I promise you," I say. I let go and hold Luke's sad face in my hands.

"Are you alright?" I ask. Luke takes a deep breath in and then begins to speak slowly.

"Dakota's in the hospital," he says. I'm confused. Why would Luke come to me? And why is Dakota in the hospital? Why isn't he at the hospital keeping her company?!

"Should we go see her?" I ask. Luke nods his head crazily and I rush to get my shoes, bag and phone.

"Jana I'll be back in a few hours," I say before following Luke out of my apartment.