• Chapter 04 •

• Chapter 4 •

"But all the way here?" Luke asks, kicking the rocks with his shoe as he swings forward.
"My parents were tired of Parramatta I guess. My dad's closer to his office this way," I explain.

I mean, it's not totally a lie.

I guess Luke has noticed my uncomfortable feeling so he mumbles an apology. I shrug it off, I mean Parramatta is my past, and it doesn't define who I am, right?

"So how do we tell your mum about this whole... thing?" Luke asks, breaking the awkward silence.
"Hmm, I don't know. We probably need to explain," I say.
"Sounds nerve-racking."
"Trust me, she doesn't bite."
"Hey Renn?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think I had a chance with that girl?"
"Honestly? Yeah kinda."
"Really?"
"Well you're not exactly ugly."

Who am I kidding? Luke is the total opposite of ugly. When he left high school, he was probably the cutest guy in the class, and now he's twice as good looking. "And you're in a band, oh and you're tall, and when you smile, your eyes perk and-"
"Sounds like Flora has a crush."
"I do not! And don't call me Flora!"
"I can do whatever I please. To get things straight, Flora, we aren't in a stupid chick-flick. I will never like you and we will never be more than friends."
"Well I wasn't asking to be, now was I?"

Luke turns a pink colour and laughs quietly to himself. He starts to walk away and then yells my name. "You coming?" he yells.

I nod and run toward Luke, who takes us back to his house.

*****

There's no point in talking to Luke. Every time we speak, we end up fighting. Earlier today, Luke and I tried to explain to my mum about being hand-cuffed together. We couldn't explain properly so we ended up bickering at each other until Mum yelled to stop.

Currently, I'm on my bed with Luke on my right side. Our hands are stuck together and his eyes are being illuminated by the light coming from his phone screen. I don't really care about what he's doing. I just know be might be reading the perverted messages and tweets from his many female fans. There is a complete silence except for Luke's occasional sneezes. "Do you have hayfever or something?" I ask, looking away from my own phone.

"No, maybe I'm just allergic to bitches like you," he chuckles.
"Hmm, well you weren't sneezing yesterday, and you don't sneeze when you're around yourself. Not to mention Dakota."
"Dakota is not a bitch, and neither am I."
"Would you shut up? My parents are asleep! It's 2 am, goodness."
"Yeah, and I'm the loud one."
"You know what? I don't know why I agreed to be friends with you. You're just a selfish jerk that goes around serenading girls that you'll never see again."
"Not my fault the ladies love me."

I curl my hands into fists, he is unbelievable! I've never been so annoyed and irritated in my life, all at the same time. Only Luke has the ability to make me feel like this in a split second.

How dare he ask why I left Parramatta, that's personal stuff. It wasn't like my parents had to move for a job or anything. It wasn't a swift move, I had to start Year 7 in a place where I had no idea who was who. All I remember is Michael and Calum talking to me, the only few out of like 100 students. Luke was just like the rest of them, spreading endless rumours about me that I have no idea still, who started.

*****

Tonight's Jana's big 18th birthday party. Unfortunately, because Luke and I are handcuffed, I can't have fun. I can't even get dressed.

"Mum!" I yell.
"I'm coming!" she yells back.

I stare at Luke who's got both headphones in, watching something.