Chapter 3

I stared at the doll in shock. It was extremely tall compared to Grace, I would say about 5'6. The doll has large, glass blue eyes and poofy brown hair that went up to the shoulders.

I noticed the doll was wearing old, jean overall shorts with a white shirt underneath. The doll had on black flats complete with white socks that had lace on the ankles.

"I love it so much!" Grace hugged the doll by the legs due to the height difference. "Aw, she's so cute." Adam chuckled as I hopped off of his back. "You think the doll is cute?" I make a disqusted face at him.

"What, no.I mean Grace.She already loves that thing." He smiled as he looked from me back to her. "Don't you think that's a huge doll though?" I asked him as I removed a strand of hair out of my face.

"Yeah, but if Grace likes it then who cares?" He didn't bother looking at me. "It actually looks like it's taller than you." He laughed. I narrowed my eyebrows and playfully smacked his shoulder. "Ow! Girl you hit hard." He winced in pain. I didn't even hit him that hard, for a football star he sure is a wimp.

"Oh shut it." I say to Adam. I look at Grace again and saw she was still holding the doll. "Okay, time for birthday cake." My mom cheers as she brings out a large three tier, pink and white cake with six candles.

Grace drops the doll and runs towards our mom with her friends.

We all sing happy birthday to Grace and enjoy a piece of strawberry cake topped with buttercream icing. People are already starting leave because dark rain clouds are coming out. As more people head inside I feel drops of rain on my forehead. "Hey Jay, help me put the gifts in Grace's room before they all get wet." Adam says as he grabs some bags.

I plopped the last piece of cake in my mouth and help him bring in the presents. We walk upstairs to Grace's room and drop them off near her bed. We do this about four more times until we finally brought in everything. "I feel like we just had a workout." Adam laughs as he wipes his face with a cloth. "I know right, might as well be with all the lifting and going upstairs." I giggled.

The rain starts to pour down and I see lightening strikes across the sky. My parents wave to the last bit of people from the door. "Well that was lovely wasn't it Ken?" My mom gives him a quick smile.

"Yeah did you have fun Grace?" My dad patted Grace's shoulder. She was sitting at our large dinning room table still snacking on her piece of cake.

She looked up and nodded a yes, causing my dad to chuckle. She looked so adorable with icing smeared across her cheeks.

---

The rest of the day had gone by pretty quick and before I knew it, it was already nine at night. I took a shower and had changed from my lace dress to my aqua blue, satin pajama pant set. I easily put my long hair into a side braid and brushed my teeth. I knew my parents were already getting ready for bed downstairs. I walked passed Grace's room and saw she was sitting on the floor watching the Disney animated Alice in Wonderland movie.

Sitting next to her, was the doll.

"Hey Grace." I smiled as I walked in her dark room. She waved at me and yawned. "Are you tired?" I asked, even though I knew the answer. She nodded a yes and yawned once again.

I tucked her into bed and turned off the movie. We said our goodnights and I walked towards the door of her room.

"Jay." She quietely called. She called me the same nickname as my brother. "Yes?" I turned around.

"Bring Alice to me pweese." She politely asked. Who's Alice? I paused for a moment and realized she probably meant the bear I gave her. Thinking that she named the bear Alice I handed her the Build-A-Bear and she sat it on the side of the bed.

"No, that's Alice." She pouts and points to the porcelain doll. I walk to the doll and pick it up, it's so heavy. I noticed that the doll, when standing up really is taller than me. I'm surprised that Adam was right. I am 5'4 and a toy doll is taller than me. I place it next to Grace in the bed and she hugs the doll. "Why did you name it Alice?" I ask Grace.

"Alice in Wonderland." She simply replies. Wow, so creative. I walk out of the room and close Grace's door like usual. Unlike some kids her age, she like to sleep in complete darkness. Which is kind of weird for a little kid but hey, whatever floats her boat.

I walk next door to Adam's room. He is playing Call Of Duty, eating cheetos, and listening to some loud dubstep music. "Turn that down!" I glare at him. "Grace is trying to sleep!"

He rolls his eyes and and shoved some more cheetos in his mouth. What a pig. "Go away Jay, she's a heavy sleeper anyways." He scoffs.

"What time are you planning on staying up till?" I ignore his dumb comment. "Midnight, probably two a.m, I don't know." He replies not bothering to look up from his game.

"You're staying up that late on a Sunday night?" I raise an eyebrow. "Yeah? What's your point." He pauses the game. "Well we have a student council meeting tomorrow morning and we have to get up extra early to pick up starbucks and doughnuts for everyone." I cross my arms.

Adam and I are on the student council at our school. He is a regular member and I am the president. He didn't want to be too much involved with it since he could care less but wanted to get in so it would look good for college applications.

Every morning whenever we have early meetings we go and buy refreshments for the other members. I have to because i'm the president and everyone loves it but I drag Adam with me so he can help. Being a twin comes in handy at times like those.

He groans and drags a hand over his face. "I forgot, alright fine. I won't stay up too late then." He says. "Thanks,

bro." I smirk and back towards my room.

I suddenly have the urge to check on Grace again to make sure she's sleeping. I creak open her door and take a peek. I smile as I see a sleeping Grace. She is turned on her side and has her little hands under her head. I'm about to close the door until I look again, next to her is the doll, large glass eyes staring straight at me.