Chapter 10

Dinner goes by and I don't bother saying a word about the doll. Grace finishes eating first and wipes her small face with a napkin. "I'm done, momma." She says and hops off of her chair.

"Good job Grace." My mom comments and stands up, taking the empty plate from my little sister. She places it into the sink and Grace walks back over to the living room and continues to watch Alice in Wonderland. "Jacqueline, hun could you please do the dishes after everyone gets done eating?" She asks and looks to me. "Sure, mom." I simply reply and take a sip of my fruit punch.

My mom smiles and goes upstairs to get Grace's bath water started.

"All done!" Adam announces and throws the last bread roll into his mouth. He takes his plate and tosses it into the sink. I get up and start cleaning some of the dishes. "Your such a good daughter." My dad kisses the top of my head and gently pats me on the back. "Thanks, dad." I giggle.

"I'm going to bed already, I have an early meeting for work tomorrow. Goodnight kids." My dad announces to Adam and I and waves as he closes the door to the bedroom.

"I think I'm gonna get some sleep too." Adam says and yawns. "You never go to sleep early." I raise an eyebrow. "I know, but I am really tired, Jay." He obnoxiously yawns once more. I rinse my hands real quick and flick water at my brother. "Yeah right. You just want to dream about Tiffany." I smirk as his face turns slightly red.

"Shutup." He nervously chuckles and walks upstairs. "You know i'm right!" I yell out to him from the kitchen. Gosh, I love messing with him. "Grace, come upstiars and get ready for bed. I have your bath ready!" My mom calls out from the top of the stairs.

Grace jumps off of the couch and runs upstairs. "I'm coming!" She leaves and turns off the tv. I continue to wash the dishes and quietly hum a random song.

I am about to finish washing the last glass cup until I hear a noise...

I can't really pin point what the noise exactly is but I just ignore it and continue to wash the cup. I set the cup down next to the other washed items and start to dry them.

All of a sudden, I hear the faint noise again.

I set the towel down and look up expecting to see Adam or my mom, but no one is there. I still hear the noise though. I walk over to the living room and see the Alice In Wonderland movie still playing.

It's on the part where the Cheshire cat appears with his signature wide smile. I watch the movie for a short while and then I realized something.

Grace had turned the movie off.

I felt a cold shiver run through my body and my eyes started to water. I slowly turn around to the couch and see the large, porcelain doll, with the exact wide grin of the cheshire cat, staring straight at me.

My hands started to shake and I dropped the tv remote as the horrid thing sat there, staring into my eyes. I couldn't take my eyes off of it as I was paralyzed with absolute fear. As I stared back at it, I noticed another thing.

The way it was breathing.

The doll's chest was slowly moving up and down and I could now hear a defined breathing sound coming from the creature. More tears started to waterfall from my eyes as I tried to scream and yell out for my brother, my mother, my father, anyone.

No sound came though. Not even a little. My throat felt raw and my lips were trembling but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't yell or much less even speak.

All I could do was run.

I snapped myself out of my paralyzed state and ran as fast as I could upstairs. I barged into my brother's room and turned on his light, instantly waking him up. "Adam! Oh my gosh Adam! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh." I choked out through tears as I sat on his bed and tapped his shoulder repeatedly, making sure he wouldn't fall back to sleep.

"What in the hell Jay! What's wrong?" He replied as he rubbed his tired eyes and sat up.

"It's the d-doll Adam! I swear to you it's the doll! You have to believe me!" I pleaded to him. I thought of the horrid smile on the doll's face I witnessed just moments before. "What's going on!" My mother says and stomps into my brother's room. "It's nothing." Adam groans and lays back down and throws the pillow on top of his face.

"Jacqueline maybe you should head to bed already." My mom sighs and tilts her head towards my room. "Were you crying?" She asks.

"Mom, please believe me. It's Grace's doll. It turned on the tv and had an evil grin an-" I began to explain until she interrupts me.

"The porcelain doll?" She raises an eyebrow. "Yes!" I quickly answer. "Don't be silly Jacqueline. It's too late at night to make jokes." She rubs her temples and starts to walk downstairs.

"No mom! Don't go down there!" I call out to her and Adam jumps out of bed when he notices the panic in my voice.

She doesn't bother to listen to me and keeps walking down the steps. I turn to Adam. "Adam she can't go down there! The evil thing is on the couch!"

All of a sudden we hear a loud crash and my mom scream.