Chapter 5

I made my way through the hallway until I reached the principal's office. "Hi dear what can I do for you?" The lady at the front desk politely asked. "I was called up here. My name is Jacqueline Wilson." I reply as I sit my bag down on the chair.

"Oh yes, principal Hayes wanted to speak to you. You can go on in." She smiles and returns to her computer work. I grab my stuff and knock on the door to Mr. Hayes' office. "Come in." I hear him say. I open the door and make my way in. "Ah, Miss Wilson, please take a seat." He motions to the empty seat and I sit. I notice a boy is sitting in the other seat next to me. I can't really see his face though, he is looking away.

"I'm sorry to interupt your class time Jacqueline. I know you are busy with your studies and all but I have a favor to ask you." He leans back in his large chair. "What is it?" I nicely ask. What on Earth could they need me for?

"Well, you see...Mr. Swintek over here is having some issues following the school rules." Mr. Hays glares at the boy. "Such as vandalizing school property, smoking, and also using foul language in his classes." Mr. Hayes sighs and rubs his temples. "Since you are a model student and president of the student council I was hoping you would take Mr. Swintek under your wing and help him follow the rules. I am hoping the student council will help him make better choices." I looked at Mr. Hayes dumbfounded. He couldn't be serious could he? Was I being punked or something. I already have enough stuff to do as it is.

"No! Mr. Hayes just suspend me or something." The boy pleads. He finally looks up from the ground. I see a side view of his face. He doesn't look familiar though, I have never seen him before. "No, no, no. That won't help you. You will like getting involved with school activities and such. It's for the best." Mr. Hayes smiles at him. "What do you say Miss. Wilson? Will you help a fellow student out? It's only for a couple of months." He asks.

I nervously smile and don't bother to look at the guy next to me. He is probably giving me dirty looks anyways. "O-okay." Is all I manage to say before Mr. Hayes excitedly stands up. "Great! It's settled then! When is your next meeting Jacqueline?"

"After school today." I reply. I run a hand through my blonde waves. "Mr. Hayes, a student is here to see you."

The lady from the front desk interrupts us.

"Send them in." He replies to her and she leaves. "I will have Jacqueline keep me up to date with your progress Mr. Swintek. You two can go back to class now." He turns his chair around to face his computer.

The guy and I both leave the room. I notice he is wearing dark, denim jeans that are tucked in to black combat boots. He is wearing a black v-neck along with a red wristband. He is quite tall and I can see his muscles through his shirt. I notice some tattoos peeking out on his arms and a silver earring on his left ear.

"Um...so our meeting is in room 210 after school today. It's about an hour long and it's pretty important so please don't forget." I nervously smile. He looks at me and I can finally have a full view of his face. He has jet black wavy hair that is swept to the side, along with bright, light blue eyes. He has a very prominent jawline and high cheekbones. His nose is perfectly stright with a slight point at the tip.

I stared at him for a moment, completely caught off guard. "Whatever." He gives me a dirty glare and walks off with his hands in his pockets. What the hell.

I make my way back to class and explain to Mckayla what happened in the office. "Oh great, so we have a new kid." She sarcastically replies. Mckayla has never been part of the welcoming committee. She just likes to stay around her usual friends and that's all.

---

School actually finished fast today and I was in room 210 getting ready for the second meeting of the day. Adam and the rest of the members walked in as well, all taking their usual seats at the conference table. I impatiently wait for the guy to arrive but he doesn't show up. Of course.

"Okay, well we were going to have a new member. But seeing that he rather not be here I won't let our time be wasted." I announce.

As if on cue, the guy opens the door and walks in. I put on a fake smile for the sake of the other members. "Welcome...um what's your name?" I politely ask as he takes a seat at the end of the table. He glares at me again and just as he is about to speak I hear my phone ring. "Sorry, just a second." I tell everyone. I answer my phone and walk to the edge of the room.

"Jacqueline! I need you and Adam to come home now! It's horrible!" She sobs over the phone. "Mom, mom. Calm down please. Tell me what's wrong." I try to stay calm. I notice Adam is looking at me with worried eyes.

"Just come home now." She sobs and hangs up. Ugh. I put my phone away and look at Adam. I feel my hands shaking from the nervousness and I slide them into the pockets of my jeans.

"I'm sorry, Adam and I have an emergency. Meeting will be tomorrow after school instead." I excuse us and gather my stuff. "Is everything alright?" Tiffany and Mckayla look at me. "I'm not sure." I say as were all walking out along with everyone to the parking lot.

"Text us when you find out. We want to make sure y'all are okay." Mckayla adds. "Will do." I reply and give them hugs. Adam jumps into his hummer and I do the same with my car. We both speed off to our house.

I see about four or five police cars and an ambulance parked in the middle of our road. Adam and I both park a few houses away from our own and run to our house.

"Mom! What's going on! Are you hurt?" Adam barges in the door. I follow close behind. We see my mom on the couch crying and my dad rubbing her back with sorrow eyes.

"What's going on? You're scaring me." I feel my eyes water.

"It's Ms. Laurel Fitzpatrick." My dad quietly says. "She was murdered."