1.2

" When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you. "

— Friedrich Nietzsche

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

1.2 ; THE ABYSS.

THERE USED TO BE a time where Caroline was normal—happy, even. That was when she had life all figured out—graduate high school at 16,  go M.I.T. or Harvard in order to become something profound, something her parents would be proud of—like a surgeon or a lawyer. That was then when she had parents to be proud of her. This was now.

Before her grandmother passed, she used to recite a quote to her every time she visited her.

"Damned be the person who abandons all faith. For without faith, there is no hope."

Caroline had lost faith a long, long time ago when she was a scared, lost sixteen-year-old girl who thought someone was going to come to save her. When they never did, she broke inside. Nothing anyone could see, but she could feel it inside her—that small space in the back of her mind that is always raw, always painful. It never goes away. It has been eating away at her, stealing everything. It had stolen her hope for something better. She couldn't let that happen to somebody else too.

She needed to have some hope in order to save Heather Woodland.

Caroline leaned over Derek Morgan's shoulder as he stared at Richard Slessman's computer in deep concentration. The only thing pulled up on the screen was the login window asking for a password. At the bottom of the screen, a pale green '6' in bolded text jumped out at her.

"What's the number 6 at the bottom of the screen mean?" She asked him curiously.

He sighed, rubbing his head, agitated. "Number of password attempts before he program wipes the hard drive."

"There could be an email or a journal on the computer, something that tells us where Heather is." She looked over at him, the computer screen glaring a bright blue light at her. "Do you think you can break in?"

"In 6 tries?" He muttered, shaking his head. "No way."

"Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Gideon said from behind them. Both of the agents turned and saw both Reid and Gideon standing near Slessman's bookcase. In their hands were books that looked worn down and used—probably the unsub's favorites. They had to have just entered the room because they weren't in here earlier.