5.1

" When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him. "

Euripides

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

5.1 ; BROKEN MIRROR. 

TYPICALLY, CAROLINE DIDN'T PRY. She liked to mind her own business and let people have their secrets. This was mainly because that's what she expected to have at work—privacy. The BAU had a silent agreement to never profile another member of the team unless absolutely necessary. They dig deep into the minds of some of the most ruthless and despicable human beings on this planet, and they didn't need to do that to each other. Their business was their business.

But, today, when Morgan and Reid strode by her in the hall at Quantico, talking about Spencer's recent date with JJ, she couldn't help herself. She had almost spilled her coffee all over her white blouse as she lunged forward, immediately getting in step with the boys in order to listen to their conversation.

"Good morning, Lucas," Morgan said to her as she tripped over her flats (she had decided to be sensible with her footwear today) with a large grin on his face, looking evidently satisfied.

She rolled her eyes, steadying herself. "And to you too, Morgan."

Reid, who towered over her, gave her a small smile, which was about as much greeting as she'd get. There was a slight blush in his cheeks, like he was flustered or embarrassed.

Had that been there before, when Derek mentioned JJ? Had their date gone that well?

"So, you never did tell me what happened with you and JJ at the Redskins game," Derek nudged Spencer in the side with his elbow playfully, resuming their earlier conversation. Caroline started to chew on her lip, anxiously waiting for his answer.

Reid shook his head, smirking. "Top secret."

She stared up at her friend, glowering. That was all he had to say for himself? "Top secret"? Seriously? Was this a joke to him?

The whole time he had been on his date, Caroline hadn't been able to sleep. She tried everything from warm milk, sleeping tablets and even the fancy noise machine Haley had gotten her for her insomnia at her apartment that made her bedroom sound like she was at the ocean, the soft waves crashing onto the sandy shores. Nothing had been able to stop her mind.

Endless possibilities raced through her head, drowning out everything around her. She pictured them sitting together, laughing. Holding hands. Acting as a couple. And later on in the night, if Spencer had walked her to her door like the gentleman he was, he might have even kissed JJ like he had kissed Caroline six months ago—softly, sweetly. A caressing rain and a gentle breeze.