11.1

" It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us. "

Norman Maclean

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

11.1 ; THE BLACK WATER. 

CAROLINE'S FOOT TAPPED IMPATIENTLY as the stainless steel elevator smoothly ascended the floors of Quantico. Her fingers drummed against the side of her leg, her lips pursed together tightly. She couldn't believe she had actually been called into work on a Saturday night. When JJ had sent out the text that Gideon had an emergency case for them, she almost texted the press liaison to go on without her. She didn't care if Gideon had called it or if it was the damn president of the United States himself. She had plans, plans that had been carefully tailored to avoid this exact moment.

Of course, I would happen to get a call right in the middle of wedding planning, she thought dryly.

Before Caroline had been called into work, she had been with Rebecca and the rest of her bridesmaids (of which had been Caitlin and a couple of old high school friends) at a boutique, dress shopping. As maid of honor, she had planned everything as perfectly as she possibly could manage. She chose Saturday because usually, those were the unspoken off days for the BAU. She even booked the appointment at night because, surely, a case wouldn't come in at nine o'clock on a Saturday night.

She was wrong.

The only thing Caroline had to be happy about was being able to find Rebecca's wedding dress before she got called in. Seeing her brother's fiancée dressed in the long white gown and sheer veil made her realize just how real this wedding was.

It was happening. Her brother was getting married.

And she couldn't wait. He and Becca deserved to be happy.

Beside her, Morgan chuckled as he stared at Caroline. She grounded her teeth together, refusing to acknowledge his presence.

"Hey, uh, Care," her friend said as he carefully lifted a strand of her blonde hair and examined it teasingly, "what the hell is in your hair?"

She glowered at him. When JJ texted her, she had been right in the middle of Rebecca choosing a hair style for the wedding. Unfortunately, Caroline had been the guinea pig. Her hair had grown stiff with the copious amounts of hairspray the stylist sprayed into her head. Her blonde hair that had been teased and curled and straightened was now as stiff as a board. She could hear her hair crinkle as Derek pinched it between his fingers, clearly amused by her obvious discomfort.