16.2

" The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body; after all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind

" The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body; after all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind. "

François de la Rochefoucauld

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

16.2 ; THE FISHER KING.

CAROLINE FELT LIKE HER head was going to explode. For the past hour, all she had done was stare at the piece of paper taped onto the whiteboard. She didn't allow her thoughts to wander past the numbers on the page. If she did, she knew her traitorous mind would go right back to the man beside her—and why he would barely look at her.

With Haley, Jack, and her sisters safely nested in a hotel somewhere, she had to focus on this case. Catch the unsub, remove the threat. It was all she should be thinking about.

But she just couldn't stop herself. If her thoughts were visible, they would be an inverse explosion, crazy, chaotic spins, and twists of words jumbled together to try and form how she felt into a sentence, or to a word. However, right now, she knew what she wanted.

She wanted him to look at her again for something besides work. She wanted to know why he wouldn't talk to her, why he wouldn't look at her like he did a couple of weeks ago. And, most important of all, she wanted to know why he was now so different. Was it because of her past? Because of their kiss? Or was it because of everything she lost before that made her so off-putting for him?

The sound of Hotch's voice broke her out of her tangled thoughts. "Reid, how many books do you think are published in a year?"

The genius, who had been staring intently at the board for over an hour now, pulled his gaze away. "In the whole world?" He puffed out a frustrated breath. "Thousands."

"Great," Morgan scoffed. "All we gotta do is find one."

He picked up the evidence bag in the center of the table. It was Gideon's "gift"—the baseball card. He stared at it for a moment before sighing. "You know," he began, "I can see this unsub gettin' out phone numbers and addresses from the bureau personnel files, but come on, man. It really says in there that Gideon digs Nellie Fox?"

"Or that JJ collects butterflies and I collected music boxes?" Caroline added, her voice quiet but not weak.

"I didn't even know these things about us," Morgan commented, tossing the card back onto the table.

"'Never would it be night, but always clear day to any man's sight'," Reid recited. He had been repeating that phrase off-and-on since he found it. She didn't need an eidetic memory to know the phrase now.