9.1

" Unfortunately, a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares. "

Sir Peter Ustinov

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

9.1 ; THE POPULAR KIDS.

CAROLINE SILENTLY STIRRED HER cup of coffee as she watched Spencer. He stood beside her with one hand holding a small silver spoon and the other a tube of low-fat sugar. Her eyes followed the waterfall of white sugary crystals as he poured them into his mug of coffee, using the silver spoon to stir away the clumps of sugar starting to form at the bottom. She pursed her lips as she slowly took her own spoon out of her cup and brought it up to her lips, placing it in her mouth as if it was a lollipop as she got lost in her thoughts.

Spencer had been acting strange this morning, stranger than he usually does. When he saw her this morning, there had been no daily fact about the weather to greet her or even a hello. He had given her a small smile, one that hadn't quite reached his eyes, and offered to grab coffee in the small communal kitchen that was in the very back of the office at Quantico. She had followed reluctantly.

Reid glanced over at her, as if he could sense her staring at him. His eyes wandered to the spoon in her mouth then her eyes, raising an eyebrow. 

"Care," he said warily, "what are you doing?"

She slowly pulled the spoon out of her mouth and set it in the sink, avoiding his gaze. She had noticed the dark purple bags under his eyes and the way his eyelids hung lazily over his drowsy coffee-colored eyes.

"Do you think the reason your eyes are brown is because of all the coffee you drink?" She asked, then clapped a hand over her mouth. She did not just ask that.

It had been an errant thought, one that had just popped into her mind. Caroline could feel the hot rush of blood flush in her cheeks, demonstrating her embarrassment.

Reid frowned as if he were in thought before replying, "I don't know. Do you drink ocean water?"

"What?"

"Your eyes," he said in a matter-of-fact tone, "they're blue, like the ocean. So if your hypothesis were correct, my eyes are coffee colored because I drink coffee, then you must drink ocean water."

Caroline sighed, almost in relief. Leave it to Reid to be completely oblivious to her embarrassment.

"I haven't," she admitted to him with a small smile.