13.2

" An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country. "

George Bernard Shaw

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

13.2 ; IN THE ART.

EARLY THE NEXT MORNING, the sound of Caroline's phone buzzing against the hotel nightstand woke her up from a restless sleep. Gideon called to request her presence at Lila's movie set. As she had rubbed the sleep from her eyes, he explained that the unsub had contacted her directly this time through a handwritten letter. Before Gideon could even finish telling her all the details, she had put on her clothes, threw her hair up in a ponytail, and was out the door.

It took her all of twenty minutes to get onto the movie set. Caroline now sat in the young actress's trailer, watching her cling to the black robe she wore. Her eyes darted anxiously from Caroline, Detective Kim, Derek, Gideon, and Reid, all of whom were standing inside her trailer with somber expressions. Caroline picked at the corner of the note as she reread it for the fourth time.

Lila—

I've always been so good to you.

Why would you go to the police?

Gideon, who had been reading over her shoulder, said, "I'm intrigued by this particular version of the verb 'to be'. It's the past participle, denoting a steady state of being with a preceding adverb 'always'."

"In English?" Detective Kim requested with a wide-eyed look.

"That is English, actually," Reid told him. "He's discussing verb tenses—"

Morgan put his hand on the young doctor's shoulder and shook his head. "That's not what he meant, Reid."

Caroline sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. "What they mean is, our stalker sounds like someone Lila knows based on the tense of the verb."

"Maybe it's time to get her off the street," Morgan suggested as he leaned against the doorframe.

"You know, there's been no physical threat to her," Reid remarked. "She might be safe just staying put as opposed to anywhere else."

From the corner of the room, Caroline heard Lila grunt. Everyone glanced over at her, momentarily forgetting she was in the room. "I'm standing right here, you guys," she snapped.