7.2

" Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."

Anthony Brandt

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

7.2 ; FAMILY.

         "HE'S BEEN LOOKING AT those pictures all morning," Elle murmured suspiciously as she watched Gideon mull in deep concentration over the evidence board in the bullpen. Caroline sat at her desk, tapping a random, discarded pen from her drawers against the wood top quietly, as she stared at Gideon's turned back.

Last night, Caroline barely got any sleep. Her thoughts kept going to Spencer and the case, Spencer and the case, like an endless, taunting cycle, driving her insane. She couldn't sleep because she knew that, while she was asleep, some poor innocent family was being stalked by this bastard. She couldn't stand it and she couldn't close her eyes knowing that a family was out there was with him.

Whenever her mind wasn't on the case, it wandered to Spencer and their embrace outside of the interrogation room yesterday. She had been avoiding him like the plague all morning, acting like a nervous wreck. There was so much he didn't understand and she knew he would have questions, questions she wouldn't be able to answer.

Then, there was the weight that sat on her conscious like a rock, pressing against her temples. She couldn't ignore it anymore if she spoke to Reid, she would be forced to acknowledge that she had feelings for him, ones that she worried wouldn't be reciprocated. They were such good friends, best friends, in fact, that she wasn't sure if Spencer could even think of her beyond that. And even if by some miracle the beautiful boy she works with did have any feelings for her, she knew that, deep down, she was too damaged, too worthless, to ever be with someone like Reid. She would destroy him like she destroys everything else and she couldn't do that to him.

"Well, I sure hope he sees a connection, 'cause I've checked doctors, lawyers, travel agents, tutors, contract workers," Derek sighed, "I got nothin'."

"Why target those families?" Elle inquired.

"Well," Caroline stated, "to know that, we have to know how."

Instinctually, she glanced up from her desk, feeling a pair of eyes trained on her. Her crystal blue eyes met with Reid's dark brown and she swallowed. Finally able to capture her attention, he frowned and mouthed, "You okay?"

She didn't respond. She avoided his gaze by twisting her body to face Derek, who sat across from her in the bullpen. She used her hair to create a shield between the two of them so she wouldn't be distracted.