14.2

" In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. "

George Orwell

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

14.2 ; LIES.

CAROLINE HAD ALWAYS THOUGHT that secrets and lies were silent killers. She knew from experience how her secrets ate up her insides, slowly chipping away at who she was. Or, at least, who she thought she was. She had the first-hand experience of the devastation lies and secrets create. They break, they chip, they wither.

However, in Olivia Hopkin's case, they kill.

Moments after she disappeared into the CCTV room, the unsub had cut the security footage and snapped the agent's neck in seconds without anyone noticing. Elle had been the one to find her body slumped over a computer keyboard, the screen blank.

A few minutes ago, she had been alive. Then, in the second it took to snap her neck, she was dead. It was jarring to think of how fast everything could change.

One second, you're alive.

The next, you're dead.

Once Elle had found her body, she immediately informed the team. Gideon had been the one to come up with the idea to inform the other 3 suspects to see which one reacted differently.

As Caroline watched Bruno, Gina, and Kruger file into the room, she wondered if the mole felt any remorse at all. She knew the profile and knew that whoever the mole was, he or she doesn't feel remorse. She knew that but still couldn't stop herself from wondering.

"What's going on? What are we doing here?" Kruger asked them, his voice sharp. "You're pulling us away from our assignments. There's a woman out there whose life depends on us."

Her eyes narrowed. For a suspect, he seemed more inconvenienced than he should.

Beside him, Gina glanced around the room, searching. "Where's Olivia?"

"Olivia Hopkins was murdered 10 minutes ago," Hotch informed them. "Her neck was snapped. Just like John Summers"

All 3 of the CIA agents froze. She watched for all their micro-expressions—something to give them away. She saw nothing.

After a moment, Kruger scoffed. "What are you talking about? You're lying. Where is she?"

The BAU said nothing. Bruno and Gina exchanged a glance before looking to Kruger. Slowly, once the information sunk in, his face paled.