Chapter 1

"Molly?"

"Yes, baby girl?"

"I had a bad dream! My mommy and daddy were in it!"

"Aw, baby! It's okay. It was only a dream."

"I miss them!"

"I know baby. I know. I miss my parents too. But someday, when the time is right, two very nice people, a man and a woman, will come and when they see you, they will know that you're the one they want to adopt. Then, you'll go with them to their house, which will become your house and then you will live happily ever after with them!"

"You really think so?"

"I know so!"

•••

"Breakfast time!" Ms. Anneti yelled. Her voice rung through the entire orphanage. Ms. Anneti is a large woman with an even larger voice. She is the head worker in the orphanage where I live.

My name is Molly. I am 11 years old. Most girls in my hall look up to me because I am one of the older kids in the orphanage. Some nights, little girls come and hop on my bed so that I can calm them down from a nightmare or comfort them if they're sad.

I got dressed in my daytime clothes. I get a new outfit every year. There are so many girls at the orphanage that I don't get many things. Then, I ran down the stairs with the other girls and sat at a seat at one of the long tables. I sat next to a girl that is my age named, Katlyn.

The food was set on the tables and we all started eating. Well, nibbling for most of the girls. I looked around and saw a few new faces. I would have to remember to introduce myself to them because I like to become friends with all the girls here.

When we finished breakfast, we all got to our chores. The chores took a while, but it was okay. We talked while doing them, so Katlyn and I had fun.

"Molly, did you hear about the visit today?" Katlyn asked me while we were sweeping the stairs. We usually gossiped about random things while cleaning because it entertained us as we got our jobs done.

"No! Is it a public or private?" I asked.

"Private! They're looking for tweens!" Katlyn said excitedly.

"A TWEEN?" I squealed and we got excited. I'm a tween!

Public visits were more common than private. Usually, the adopters wouldn't know who they wanted to adopt, so they would make it public, which would be a lot harder chance of getting adopted.

We giggled and cleaned for a while until the long staircase was spotless, then we moved onto the bathrooms. Katlyn and I always got the harder jobs because we were the older ones.

"All girls who are between the ages of 10 and 12 come down in the foyer please!" Ms. Brent, the secretary of the orphanage, yelled. All of us ran downstairs and into the foyer where we saw two people standing at the door. They seemed pretty young to want a tween, but it didn't matter. I had a chance of getting adopted!

•••
thank you for reading:) I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!