21 - In The Dark Of Night

A/N: Lort! I sure took my time right? Pfft! honestly the mental block I've been suffering was the biggest yet. Plus the anxiety to get this right. I was prepared to make this a super long chapter but i will continue it in Chapter 22 so i hope you do enjoy. I have 5 pgs so far for it and i know where I'm going now. Again...as always...I'm so sorry and i do hope you all are still there. Totally have not edit it yet but i'm hopeful its legible. Much love peeps!!!

Drip...Drip...

The tap kept up its tempo. She shuffled onto the marble flooring and felt water beneath her tiny little feet. Was there a leak? Was it because of the dripping faucet? She should go tell mommy or daddy what was happening, but first she would turn it off. Still squinting she looked down at the soaked hemming of her pajamas and stopped. It wasn't just water...

It was red.

Was it blood?

She followed its crimson trail in the water and found that it was indeed from the tub. Blood crept down its side and the little body shuddered when she saw that it came from an arm extended over the top. It laid there, so still and stiff. What was going on? She frowned and got closer, her eyes finally adjusting to the light but her brain failing to comprehend what they were seeing.

Drip...Drip...Drip...

The ever persistent faucet continued. She looked to her left and saw her stepping stool. She would need it if she was to get to the top of the tub. She was still too short to see over the edge. Placing her flashlight onto the floor, she bent and slid her stool towards the tub and only when it could go no further did she stand up straight. She was inches away from the arm that was still bleeding. Very carefully, she placed one foot on top of it and then the other...what she saw made her little chest so tight and her mind more confused than it was before.

Mommy...

She was just lying there with her head tilted back and arms outstretched on each end of the tub. Her eyes were dark slits; barely open and in the water she lied, was nothing but red. Just blood. Mommy was hurt. She lifted her petite quivering hand and with much fear she touched her mother's fingers as she whispered her name.

"M-mommy...?"

There had been a wearisome stretch of silence when suddenly her hand clutched painfully at the little girl's. She turned her head swiftly with eyes now peeled wide and gasped.

"Kris..."

Kristen was too surprised to scream; it was trapped to the back of her throat and choking her. Her mother pulled her resisting daughters little body towards her; not taking any care that she was bruising and hurting her. Water gushed and splashed everywhere; its ruby stain permanently absorbed into Kris' PJ's and doing more damage to her mind than she was aware of.

"It...still...hurts! Kris, it still hurts baby. I can't make it stop! I tried! I tried!"

"Mommy! Please!"

She screamed and gagged as her mouth became filled with lukewarm salted water. She tried to get her head above the water, but her mother was not in her right mind. She kept crying that it hurt. What hurt? The wounds?

"KATELYN! No!" A loud booming voice crashed against the tiles and startled both of them. Kris coughed above her mother's moans and whimpers; trying to breathe pass her fierce grip but not really winning.

"It...still hurts Kris...it still hurts."

"M-mom-" She wheezed.
"Its okay honey. Just stay calm." Her father soothed but his eyes were brimmed with panic.