23 - Letters of Atonement

A/N: I really need to stop dragging my feet with this story. Sigh. Please let me know what you think...really miss you guys.

"I can't believe how...round you have gotten. What did you do; eat Ivan too?" Kris asked as she stared wide eyed at Lilith projected from her laptop. She had never been more excited to hear from her; it was the first since she had confirmed her safe arrival in Slovakia.

"No silly, it's almost time for this active niece of yours to blow this Popsicle stand. Gosh I can't wait; I miss laying on my stomach and my feet not swelling up on me ever chance it gets." She answered with the widest grin Kris had ever seen her wear.

"You don't seem too upset about it though..." She observed.
"Not in the least; I quite enjoy knowing that there is someone so special growing inside me. You should give it a try Kris. I think motherhood would look great on you." Lilith said with a sly wink.

"Oh, no fucking way. That is not for me and I am not even going to consider it anytime soon." Kris guffawed; crossing her arms as if the X they made were a shield of protection from Lilith's baby talk.

"Oh come on; haven't you ever thought about having a little tiny adorable version of you running amuck and about?"
"Never. I'm good Lils; my life is way too hectic to take on a little monster version of myself. With the club and everything else in between, I just cant." Kris said; feeling exhausted already by just listing the reasons why she was not into the tune of maternal strings. As far as she was concerns, they were too off key to strike up a proper melody anyway. It wasn't just that; the man she loved was a fucking spy who certainly would not have the time to be a father.

"What about marriage?" Lilith pressed with her attempts to make Kris settle down one way or the other.

"Another fucking no Lils. Are you out to scare me here?" She accused with eyes narrowed at her giggling friend.

"Never. I just want the best for you. Happiness is all..."
"Well I'm quite happy and completely content with the way things are now."
"What about Viktor?"
"What about him?" Kris asked and ignored the pang her heart made at the mention of his name.

Damn it she missed him so much. Why wasn't he answering her calls or texts? It had been three days since she last heard from him; wasn't he a tad bit concerned about her? What could he possibly be so wrapped up in that he couldn't answer her? What if he was hurt? What if he was fucking some other slut behind her back? Which nut sack would she peel first?

"Uh...Kris?" Lilith called and it staggered her out of her darkening thoughts. Something told her that it hadn't been the first attempt at her faded attention either. Clearing her throat and trying to mentally review where they had left off, Kris smiled and apologized for the spazzing out.

"Where did you go just now?" Lilith asked; her concern potent even from thousands of miles away.

"Sorry Lils, I was just pondering your questions. I don't really know how Viktor would feel about any of the above; I just know that he and I are not ready for it. To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever be ready."

"I'm sorry if I struck a bad chord there; I was just curious." Her friend said,
"No harm done."

Clearly sensing that she needed to change the topic, Lilith brightened and asked Kris how her visit home was going and if she had nailed a few planks of plywood over the door as yet to keep the twins at bay.

"Ha! As if that would stop those damn termites! They know how to sniff me out and they know just how to get to me, but I will admit that I do enjoy them. They're adorable and believe it or not we have a lot in common. All in all I'm enjoying my stay and finally I'm getting along with dad."