Chapter 1 - Introductions

I was in a place but I wasn't sure where. It was dark and I could just make out the barely visible outline of two figures that seemed to be looking at me from afar. I tried to walk closer but every step I took forward made me move two steps back.

I was scared. It seemed like I was me but wasn’t at the same time. I ran forward in a desperate attempt to reach the dark figures which were giving off a sense of safety and warmth.

My hand reached out as I got closer, like a scared child’s. A smile spread over my face as I started to feel safe and secure.

 My eyes closed but when I opened them again I felt restrained and all I could see were blinding bright lights. Screams and the sound of a busy road met my ears in an almost painful way.

I looked around frantically as my eyes adjusted to the light. There was a window to my right and I could see the reflection of my face, apart from it wasn’t my face. I guess it used to be saying that it was the face of me when I was a young child but it wasn’t as it was meant to be.

 No I don’t mean the fact that I had blood dripping from my head, I was fifteen now not a child. Wait why was there blood coming from my head.

As I looked closer I saw that I even had my old heart shaped locket which I never used to take off. That had been lost a long time ago.

I turned to my left and was shocked to see my best friend from years ago Kazuo Kiriyama also in his child form. He looked like he was knocked out and his clothes were stained a crimson red.

My eyes widened as realization hit me on what was going on.                         

That was when I awoke with a start. I looked around to see that I was on the school bus for the end of compulsory studies school trip.

I sat properly back in my seat with a sigh, it was just a dream.

“Hey Rin are you ok.” I look beside me to see Noriko Nakagawa a girl from my class. She had mid length black hair and was also one of the most cheerful outgoing people in the class. To be honest I was surprised that she was talking to a self confessed loner like me.

“Yeah fine, bad dream.” I said shrugging it off.

I looked around trying to rid my mind of the nightmare which had interupted my dream. That was when I saw dark emotionless eyes staring at me from a seat in front of me on the other side of the bus.

Kazuo Kiriyama, my childhood best friend. He turned back around in his seat so that I could no longer see his face, just his brown messy hair.

He knew exactly what I was dreaming about, the crash that ended up changing both of our lives for the worst.

When we were children our parents were friends, that’s how we got to know each other. One day when my parents were taking us away for the weekend we got into a car crash. Both my parents died that day and it has haunted me ever since.

I didn’t know the rest of my family and none of them ever said that they would look after me. That’s why I live in an orphanage.

Kiriyama didn’t die but got some serious brain damage causing him to lose almost all his emotions. I still wish that had been me.

Kiriyama was the smartest and nicest person I knew, people say that he has the mind of a genius and that’s why they feel bad about him losing his emotions, because it means he loses interest in things quickly. Those people call it wasted potential.

I wish that it had been me because like I said, he was one of the nicest people I had ever known. Now he just sits there like a hollow shell.

There’s no point in talking to him because he barely responds. Most people in the class think that he’s mute because they have never heard him speak. I guess that it’s just because he never has anything worth saying.