Chapter 19 - Trust

(no one’s pov)

I walked away from the four dead bodies. There was nothing I could do to save them now. The rain had let up outside and the sun had come out causing a rainbow to be seen in the sky.

It’s strange that something like that can be seen from a place like this.

The ground was still a muddy slop as I tried not to slip over. In some way I was hoping that Noriko, Nanahara and Kawada were ok. I hadn’t seen any of them since Kiriyama attacked and Kiriyama seemed ok.

It looked as if the sun was about to set. The orange glow of sunset couldn’t be seen yet but I could tell. I decided to get going before everywhere became dark and I would become an easy target especially because now I was weapon less.

…………….

I was right. I could feel it getting colder. My clothes had mostly dried up but the dampness brought a chill along my whole body.

I stumbled on an exposed tree branch causing me to fall. Luckily the ground had mostly dried and I only landed on one knee so the rest of me was still half decent. Who was I kidding, I was a mess.

Well what else did I expect?

I looked back again at my map. There were lodes of danger zones I wasn’t able to properly mark out so I still wasn’t sure if I was near one or not.

I heard a crack coming from the branches behind me. I turned around to see the silhouette of a person standing there. I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to beat them in a fight so I ran.

“Rin wait!” The voice shouted. It sounded familiar but all the voices would do saying that I had spent most of my life with them at school.

I didn’t stop. I didn’t want to risk the chance of looking back. I knew that they were following me. They weren’t being particularly quiet about it ether.

“Rin you’re heading for a danger zone!” That made me stop in my tracks. Suddenly I felt a weight taking me down.

I lashed out at the person who was now on top of me. I knew it was a trick, why did I listen to it.

The weight that was on me stood up and I quickly got back on my feet and faced… Kawada?

He was currently hunched over gasping for breath with his hands on his sides. Sweat trickled down from his brow probably caused by having to run in the humid air.

“I did tell you to wait.” He said looking up at me.

“Why did you attack me?” I asked still not fully sure on the amount of trustworthiness this person had. I mean not even a couple of days ago he had me at gunpoint.

“You stopped so suddenly and the grounds still slippery. It’s not like I chose to crash into you.” He said regaining his breath. “What happened to your arm?” He asked coming over to me.

I stepped back before he could get to close “I got shot.” He smirked at me and gave a slight chuckle “You’re not doing a good job if you’re trying to get me to trust you.”

“I’m sorry; I’m just hoping that the guy that shot at you got what he deserved.” I chose to not reply. I didn’t want to have to think back to what I had done.

Kawada saw the uneasy look on my face “Noriko and Nanahara are ok; I was just with them until I saw you. If you want you can join us.”

“Thanks but I think I’m good.”

“What weapons have you got?”

I didn’t know what to say. I knew that he would never leave me alone if he knew about my lack of defence sp I just kept my head down. Another small smile crossed his face.

“Just come with me, you can tell me all about how you lost the gun I gave you whilst were finding Noriko and Nanahara.” He grabbed hold of my arm and I had no choice but to be dragged away with him.

…………….

“Rin!” I heard a voice shout. Me and Kawada had been talking about one or two interesting things when Noriko interrupted us. “I can’t believe you’re still alive.” She put her arms around me to which I roughly shoved her away.

It wasn’t anything personal I just wasn’t a very hugging person. She looked slightly hurt but soon got over it.

“What happened to you?” I asked looking over at Nanahara. He was wearing a bandage over his head and torso, one even covered his arm. He was having to lean on a tall stick to keep him upright.

“After you left Kiriyama came and attacked the house. I ran out as a distraction but I guess it wasn’t the smartest move.” I could see the pain in his eyes from how hard it was too keep standing.

Once again the thought crossed my mind saying ‘why didn’t he kill me’ but I dismissed it. There must be something he’s planning, some way in which everyone will lose and he’ll come out victorious.

This really was a game to him. Something which he could master and then leave behind once finished with it.

I saw the amount of weapons sat in bags behind Nanahara and my eyes widened. “How did you get all of these?” I asked walking over to the bags. There were only two but they seemed to be decently full.

“I found them.” Nanahara said. I understood if he didn’t want to tell me about who he had to kill to get these. I had fallen into the trap of the game just like I’m pretty sure everyone else had at some point.

“Rin seemed to have lost all hers; including the gun I gave her.” Kawada said. He still didn’t believe me when I said I lost my bag of weapons.

“Here.” I looked over towards Nanahara and saw the gun in his hand “You can have this one, just try not to lose it this time.”

“Thanks.” I said picking up the gun. I looked and saw that the gun was full with bullets.

Loud classical music rand out around us causing us all to jump. It was time for the announcements of the deceased.

A total of nine people were called out. Quite a lot compared to some of the previous announcements.

“Let’s go west.” Nanahara said quietly “We can still evade the new danger zones. I’ve got to see Mimura.”

“Let’s go.” Kawada said picking up his bag and the two full of weapons which were obviously heavy.

“Let me help you with that.” I said reaching out to take one of the bags. “It’s not like I have my own to carry.” Kawada looked unsure but eventually gave one to me.

“If it gets to heavy just tell me.” I nodded towards him and we set off west.