Chapter 17 - Saving you

The rain beat down on Sugimura’s back. He had been able to find an old bike near a small worn out house and he was currently looking down at his GPS trying to track the red dot which was on the screen.

He was lead to an old warehouse type building. Its walls were grey and leaking pipes ran along the outside. Moss was starting to grow and if you looked closely you would be able to see small cracks in the brick walls.

He got of the bike to enter the warehouse and get out of the rain. His left leg wasn’t in a good condition from Kiriyama shooting at him as he limped through the empty space that was meant to be a doorway.

He had made sure that Nanahara was safe in the lighthouse before returning back to his mission to find Kotohiki. He needed to find her and he was sure the bed dot beeping on his GPS was her.

Inside the whole place was a mess of clutter that people could easily hide in. Ranging from old boxes to fishing gear like hooks. Maybe before the people were taken from the island it was a fishing community.

Sugimura tripped but was able to grab a hold of some ladders before he hit the floor.

In the corner of his eye Sugimura noticed something blue. He limped over to it and saw that it was a used bottle of water.

He looked around him trying to find where Kotohiki was hiding. He knew that she was in here; the GPS hadn’t lied to him yet.

A crash could be heard behind him and he spun around quickly.

“Kotohiki… Is that you?” He asked not being able to see anyone. “Please answer me!” He shouted, tears forming in his eyes as he tried his hardest to run towards the noise he had heard.

A scream could be heard and he saw Kotohiki rise up from her hiding place on a platform hidden by boxes and other containers full of junk.

For a split second he was happy he found her but then his body was overtaken by a searing pain. He could hear the bangs of Kotohiki’s gun as she was shooting him down.

Finally he fell to the floor in a dirty puddle which had been created by a crack in the roof and the rain hammering down.

Kotohiki was still trying to shoot even as her gun ran out of bullets.

“Run.” She hard Sugimura tell her and she lowered her gun. She had gotten two or three bullets in him and still he was breathing, looking at her.

“What?”

“Someone would have heard the gun shots. Run” His voice was faint. Blood could be seen seeping from his wounds and into the muddy puddle turning it a mixture of brown and red.

“Why?” She asked getting down from the high platform and going to kneel down by his side.

“I’ve always kind of liked you.” He said a small smile forming on his face “I wanted to see you… I wanted to save you.” His eyes slowly started to close and his body went limp. The loss of blood was too much for him to handle.