Chapter 16 - Questions

(no ones pov)

A ringing could be heard from the phone on the small coffee table next to the couch where Kitano slept.

“Call for you.” One of the soldiers said whilst shaking him trying to wake him from his peaceful sleep.

Slowly he got up and reached for the small phone.

“Hello.” He said into the phone.

“Hello, Mister.” A girl’s voice said back.

“Oh, Shiori?”

“Mom’s feeling bad again.” Kitano was surprised that his daughter had thought to phone him.

“I’m on a business trip right now. I don’t think I’ll be able to get home till tomorrow.”

“Don’t bother coming home.” His daughter said with a slight poisonous tone in her voice. “I’m hanging up now.”

“Ok.” Kitano said quietly into the phone but his daughter still heard.

“Don’t breathe like that. Your bad breath even stinks over the phone.” With that she was gone. She had hung up on him without saying goodbye. His daughter.

…………….

Noriko woke up with a start her head throbbing with the start of a headache. The air was cold around her and it took her a while to realize where she was.

“Are you ok” Kawada asked stirring the food he was making inside a container he had found.

“Yeah I’m fine.” She rubbed at her eyes. She had wanted to run after Nanahara, make sure that he was going to be ok but Kawada had stopped her.

When they had first heard Kiriyama’s gun shots they had made a plan to meet at a small shrine which Kawada had shown them on the map. Noriko and Kawada had run there and waited for Nanahara to show.

“I had always thought of myself as normal.” Noriko started making Kawada look up. “I thought I’d have a normal marriage and age normally like my mom. But when this game started I realized that I was just sheltered.”

“Well some things are better not knowing.” Kawada said giving her a small smile before getting back to work.

“I wonder if Nanahara will be able to find us here.” Noriko said quietly to herself.

They had been able to keep some rice and started to eat slowly. Rain started to fall from the sky. Noriko looked up and decided that she couldn’t wait any longer.

“Where are you going?” Kawada shouted as Noriko ran from the shrine.

“I’m going to find Nanahara!” She shouted back running through the trees.

Kawada dropped his bowl of cold mushy rice “Were near a danger zone!” he shouted quickly grabbed a gun before chasing after her.

The trees lashed at their faces and the rain was starting to fall in torrents. The mud under their feet was becoming slippery and soon Kawada started to lose sight of Noriko.

“Where are you?” Kawada screamed coming to a fork in the path way.

She didn’t stop her frantic running until she came to a small muddy clearing in the trees. Her breathing was in quick short pants but it nearly stopped as she saw the figure of Mitsuko sitting down staring straight at her.

“Mitsuko,” Noriko said slight fear in her eyes.

“What’s up with you?” Mitsuko asked standing up, picking up her blue bag.

“I’m looking for Nanahara.”

“Did you get separated?” Mitsuko started to take slow steps towards Noriko like a cat stalking her prey.

“Noriko, where are you!” A voice could be heard in the distance causing Mitsuko to freeze.

“Who’s that?” Mitsuko asked sounding confused.

“Kawada, he’s one of the exchange students.”

A smirk crossed Mitsuko’s face “Two princes protecting you. Well aren’t you a real princess.” Mitsuko’s hand went behind her bad and pulled out a gun.

“Die.”

Suddenly Mitsuko’s eyes went wide. She pulled her gun down before running off into the trees.

Noriko turned around and gasped as she saw Kitano, the teacher who had started everything.

“Hi.” He said walking over to her. In one hand he held an umbrella to keep him sheltered from the rain. Noriko backed away quickly trying to take careful steps so as not to trip over. “You don’t look so bad.” He said looking her over and seeing that she didn’t have a single scratch. “I see you’ve got Nanahara with you.”

Noriko looked behind her and saw Nanahara coming through the trees. He was wearing bandages which were soaked in blood and muddy from falling down into the mud a couple of times. In one hand he held an old tree branch which he was using to keep himself upright. He had his bags but what surprised Noriko was the amount of weapons he was carrying.

He tried to get closer but collapsed when he was half way to getting to Noriko.

Quickly Noriko ran over to Nanahara gasping out his name. She forgot all about the murderer behind her as she went to check her friend’s wounds.

Nanahara was gasping out for breath as Noriko started shouting out his name.

Suddenly she could no longer feel the rain pouring down onto her skin. She looked behind herself and saw Kitano holding his umbrella over her.

Slowly she took it from his grasp.

“Don’t catch a cold.” He said quietly before walking off into the trees and out of sight.

Nanahara was starting to shake from the cold as he looked up into Noriko’s eyes. “You came to meet me.” He said with a small smile forming on his lips.

“Of course.” Noriko said returning the smile with a small one of her own.

“I brought weapons.” Nanahara said weakly.

“Weapons… Why?”

“I’m weak…” Nanahara said with a small laugh “and useless…” He carried on still laughing a bit. His face then became serious “but I’ll always stay by your side. I’ll protect you. That’s why I brought weapons.” Tears started to flow from his eyes.

“Thank you.” Noriko whispered.

Kawada stood behind them both watching as Noriko tried to shelter Nanahara from the rain with the umbrella.

(A.N Hi I know it has been a long long long time since I last wrote but here it is and I've got almost the whole thing finished. I was suffering from a LOT of writers block and I just wasn't in the mood for writing for a while then when I did want to start writing my exams started YAY... That was not a good time. Anyway I hope that you still will read mu book and support me :D)

Vote

Comment

Fan