Chapter 15 - The lighthouse

It was noon on the second day when Nanahara finally woke up.

At first he wondered where he was, the last thing he remembered was jumping from a cliff into the hard rushing water below. After that everything else in his memory seemed to be missing.

He was on a bed in a small white room. He wondered if the whole battle royale thing had been a dream but then he felt the intense pain coursing through his body.

He looked to one side and noticed a girl was sitting on a chair asleep next to him. Nanahara tried to get away, not trusting anyone now seemed like the best way to go.

The girl heard the noise and quickly awoke.

“Good, you’re awake.” She said going over to Nanahara’s side and he was then able to recognise her as Utsumi.

“Where…” He started too asked but before he finished she answered for him.

“You’re in the lighthouse.” She said with a smile on her face.

“Why are you…?” Once again he got cut off.

“What a shock it was. I was on watch this morning when Sugimura showed up carrying you.”

“Where’s Sugimura.” Nanahara asked trying to get up but Utsumi stopped him.

“He’s gone, said he had to see someone.”

Nanahara lay back down and that was when he realised that he was all bandaged up. When Kiriyama had shot down at him in the water he must have gotten some hits. But because they were in water they didn’t have enough power to kill him.

“What time is it?”

“Noon he just finished the report. I even mapped out the danger zones for you.” Utsumi said showing Nanahara the map.

“What about Kawada, Rin and Noriko?”

“They weren’t on the list. Sugimura left a message before he left though. He wanted you to know that Mimura and the guys are in the west waiting to see you.”

Nanahara was shocked at first but then relieved that he still had friends that he could trust to try and escape with.

He already had Noriko but Rin and Kawada wouldn’t have been his first choice if he picked on how trustworthy they were to him.

“You’re safe here, there all my friends. There’s Haruka, Satomi, Yuka, Chisato and Yuko.” At first Utsumi’s voice was happy like before but then seemed to get quieter as she said Yuko’s name.

“Nanahara…” She started to say before trailing of. “About that think with Oki… Yuko saw it happen.”

“We fell down a hill together and his axe…”

“Was it an accident?”

“Of course it was!” Nanahara shouted. Oki had been his friend. He would have never wanted to of hurt him. “Let’s all go join Kawada he knows a way out.”

“You trust him?” Utsumi asked in surprise to which Nanahara nodded even if her wouldn’t say that he was completely trustworthy, it was better than any other option at that moment.

“He survived one of these games.” Nanahara said with hope in his voice that they really would all be able to escape.

“You can’t even walk yet”

“I’m fine.”

“No, you rest. Haruka and Chisato are making lunch.”

Reluctantly Nanahara nodded and laid back down from the sitting position which he had put himself in.