Chapter 2 - Arrival

My eyes started to open and I let out a small yawn as I stretched out. When I moved my arms to stretch I could feel something on either side of me.

I sat up quickly which gave me a small headache that I knew wasn’t likely to be leaving anytime soon. Once I recovered from the pain in my head I looked around properly and saw that there were the body’s of my class mates littering the floor that I had just been sleeping on.

Wait, why was I on the floor. I heard a small noise from some other part of the room - which had the resemblance to a class room - and I looked up to see Nanahara looking around with the same confused expression as me.

Once he saw that I was awake he didn’t look as worried probably knowing that everyone else will wake up soon just like us.

Another sound comes from the left back corner of the room and when I turn to face it I see Kiriyama sitting on a desk staring at one empty spot on the floor.

“Hey Kato do you know what’s happening.” I turn back to Nanahara but when I was about to respond I saw a silver band around his neck stopping the words from escaping my mouth.

I reached up to my own neck and felt something cold. My eyes opened wider in surprise and that’s when I noticed Nanahara’s surprise as well as he noticed the cold collar like thing around both our necks.

Suddenly more people started to stir and there was a mumble of voices starting to fill the room as other people noticed the collars around there friends and their own necks.

People seemed to stop and stare at the right back corner of the room. I looked as well and saw a guy I didn’t know who was wearing an orange bandana around his forhead. His hair was short and he looked older than anyone else by at least a year or two.

There was a sound coming from outside and the student’s ran to look out the window, when the dark heavy curtains were pushed aside a bright light entered the room blinding everyone for a few seconds.

Once everyone’s eyes adjusted to the light which was coming from a helicopter, we saw the helicopter land.

The door to it opened but we didn’t get to see who was coming out because the person was surrounded by men in military uniforms, they looked alot like the men who were standing beside the road when I was on the bus.

We looked towards the door to the “Classroom” where we could hear loud footsteps approaching quickly.

A man opened the door to the classroom and said “After you.” To another man who was stood behind him.

The room's lights were turned on as a familiar looking man entered the room but I wasn’t sure exactly who he was.

He was wearing a blue tracksuit and his black hair was cut short. He looked old but not OAP old and he had a scar on his slightly wrinkled face.

“Kitano.” Said one voice in a surprised way and after that, many other voices repeated the name and that’s when it hit me.

Kitano was our old teacher. He resigned after getting stabbed by a boy in the class.

----------------

“Hey what’s happening?” I asked a random guy in the emptying classroom.

“Kitano’s late so we decided that if he’s allowed to be late then were allowed to have the day off.”

I looked at the guy strangely before seeing what was written on the black board. There was a red X and the words saying “Taking the day off ‘cause we want to – Class B”

I smirked, well if no one else was going to class then why should I.

I went quickly to the toilets and just as I was about to leave the school I remembered that I had left my bag in my locker.

I ran back and as I was opening my locker I saw Kitano walking out of the class room. You could tell that he was annoyed just by the way he walked.

When he passed one of the classroom doors a boy jumped out and stabbed him in the butt. The boy ran away quickly and in his haste he tripped over and dropped the knife. I never did get a good look at his face but I thought I recognized him and I overheard that it was someone in our class the next day.

After that Kitano resigned and we got a new teacher. He was kinder to us and was a nice person, I’m not saying that Kitano was mean he was just the strict kind of teacher that nobody liked. Even if he hadn’t done anything wrong.

----------------

“Ok, sit down.” Kitano said in an uncaring way. When no one listened – probably from the shock of seeing him – The army guys started shouting at us to sit down.

Everyone came out of there trance and either sat on the floor or one of the very few chairs that were in the classroom.

“It’s been a while.” Kitano said with a smile “I’m Kitano your old 7th Grade teacher. I will be taking over class 3-B again. Let’s be friends.”

“We have a new transfer student Kawada over there.” He said pointing to the older looking guy. “Be nice to him.”

He turned around and picked up some chalk to write down something on the bored. Whilst he was writing a couple of student’s shouted at him wanting to know where we were and why we were there.

I looked towards him not really expecting a straight answer.

“You know this law.” He asked pointing to what he had written on the bored. I looked behind him to see 'The BR Act' written in big white letters. No one responded.

“Ah no good, so that’s what this country’s become. Wanna know why…” He was cut off by one girl whispering a bit too loudly “No whispering, dammit!” He shouted throwing his chalk at the girl.

“You Asshole.” She shouted going up to him.

“When someone is talking, shut up and listen.” Kitano said poking the girl in the head.

“Can I go to the bathroom, teacher?” Chigusa said standing up looking at him in a defying way.

Chigusa had long straight black hair and she was an amazing long distance runner. She was considered as the second most beautiful in the class after a girl called Mitsuko. In my opinion Mitsuko was a slut who slept with almost every guy she could.

She was a bully and not many people actually liked her but I have overheard one or two things about her. I know that you shouldn’t believe everything that you hear, and trust me I don’t but I’ve heard that she has had a hard life. Some of the things I hear almost make me feel bad for her.

“Can’t you wait a little? I’ve missed you guy’s” Kitano replied giving Chigusa no option but to sit back down.

Kitano turned away and was about to go back to the bored when he spotted Nobu. “Kuninobu.” Kitano said in an almost unfriendly way “Man, my ass hurt.”

Nobu turned in his chair and tried not to meet the teachers eyes. That’s when I realized who the boy was that stabbed Kitano on that day, it was him. Can’t say that I was too surprised really.

“Before I quit, I told you not to bother coming, that you were no good, and you really started boycotting school. That’s no good” Kitano said circling round Nobus chair like I beast stalking its prey.

He stopped and looked directly at Nobu before saying “You’re no good, but you thought you’d come along on the class trip anyway, huh.”

Nobu looked him straight in the eye before giving him a stupid grin. Kitano wacked his head so hard that I think almost everyone flinched. Nobu looked at the teacher in disbelief, teachers aren’t meant to hit kids.

“Listen up.” Kitano started shouting “Because of folks like Kuninobu here, this country’s absolutely no good anymore. So the bigwigs got together and passed this law. Battle Royale!”

“So today’s lesson is… You kill each other off ‘Till there’s only one left. Nothing’s against the rules.”

The shocked faces of all the student’s were staring up at him like he was mad. My face stayed expressionless, I mean, he must be joking. Right?

VOTE (Because you hate Kitano)

COMMENT (About what you think so far)

PLEASE