Chapter 8 - Accidental

(Rin’s pov)

I awoke to the sound of old orchestral like music. I looked around to see that I was alone.

I was in a lush green forest up in a tree branch. At first I wondered what I was doing up there but then I remembered the events of the day before.

Me and Hayashi had decided to hide and sleep up in the trees because no one would be able to see us up there so late at night when it was so dark. But now it was morning and I was almost in plain sight.

The orchestral music quietened down and Kitano’s voice rang out “First report. It’s now 6am, time for sleepyheads to wake up. Here’s the list of your dead friends in the order that they died,”

I closed my eyes and put my head up against the tree as the names of twelve students were read off.

“Ok, now for the danger zones. I’ll read off zones and times so check your maps.” I quickly looked in my green bag which had been hung up on a higher branch. I was able to take out the map but there was no pen. “Starting at 7:00 B5.” I scrambled around more in my bag before giving up, stupid idiot didn’t give me a pen.

“Next at 9:00 E8 then at 11:00 F2, got that? It’s tough when friends die on you but hang in there!” With that the voice of Kitano was gone and I was left to try and remember the danger zones and times.

I looked around as I heard something like footsteps come closer and closer to where I was hiding. I reached inside my pocket ready to bring out the already blood stained knife that I had been given.

I felt something graze my arm which caused me to jump up and balance on the thick branch whilst looking down towards the ground.

Nothing could be seen until a movement caught my eye in some bushes down below. I waited with shaky breath ready to throw the knife at whoever attacked me first.

Someone came out of the bushes wiping themselves off but I couldn’t get a good look at their face until they looked up. With a small sigh of relief I realised that it was only Hayashi. I grabbed my bags and climbed down the tree not with too much grace because of my restless night’s sleep.

Hayashi looked at me with a slightly amused face once I had finally come down to the ground.

“Hello graceful.” He said rummaging round in his bag.

“What you looking for?” I asked before I saw him bring out a metal baseball bat.

My breath caught in my throat as my grip on the knifes handle tightened. Hayashi saw the movement and looked back up at me with amusement once again in his eyes.

“I’m not going to hurt you if that’s what you’re thinking.” He said putting the bat down and looking back in his bag.

“Why on earth would I think that?” I asked sarcastically wondering how he could be in such a good mood after being put in the situation we was in and after hearing about all our class mates that had died only a couple of hours ago.

“I’m trying to think the best about this situation. You never know maybe we will be saved, we can at least have hope, right.” He said bringing out some bread from his bag and breaking it in half giving half to me.

“I have my own food.” I said trying to give it back but he wouldn’t take it.

“Whilst were working together on this I’m more than happy to share.”

“Where did you go this morning?” I asked trying to start up a lighter conversation.

“Couldn’t sleep, and you seemed like you were having a nightmare so I went to check that you hadn’t brought any unwanted attention to us.”