Chapter 4 - Roll Call

A hidden door at the back of the room was opened and soldiers rolled in containers containing big green bags.

Someone hit play on the remote control once again starting up the TV “You’ll leave the room one by one but first you get a kit. Inside each is food and water, a map and compass, a flashlight and a weapon so check it out later, ok? The girls might need personal items so you can all take them.”

“Each weapon is different. Not just guns and knives either. It’s random, so maybe you’ll get lucky maybe not, it will eliminate natural advantages. Ahhhh!” The woman screamed when she picked up an axe. “This one’s super lucky.”

“We’ve notified your parent’s so go for it.” Kitano said. Not like the parent’s had much say in the matter. I bet even some were killed for not cooperating when they found out there kid was about to most likely be murdered.

 “Ok, you’ll be leaving by class number. When I call your name I want to hear a nice big here! Boy 1 Akamatsu.”

“Here,” The boy shouted out in a shaky voice. He was a large, overweight boy who performed badly in sports, Yoshio was frequently bullied by some of the other student’s because he was an easy target especially with how timid and quiet he was.

He looked at all of us in fear before picking up his blue bag and collecting a green one from the soldiers. He knew he wasn’t likely to win and that’s one reason why I felt bad for him.

“Girl 1 Inada.”

“Here,” She said in a small squeaky voice as she got up. When she went to get her bag her friend ran up and hugged her saying “We will always be friends.”

“I know.” Inada said before being thrown a bag which she almost dropped, and then she left. Inada lived in a fantasy world for most of the time so I wondered how she was going to cope in this harsh reality.

“Boy 2 Iijima.”

Iijima didn’t respond but just picked up his blue bag and got a green one from the soldiers before looking at the whole class and walking out.

“Girl 2 Utsumi”

She also said nothing before waving to us. Then she to collected both the bags she was meant to take.

“Boy 3 Oki”

Oki made a mad dash for his bag and when the soldier threw him a green bag he ended up dropping it. I could understand why he was so nervous with him being a relatively new student and all. I’m not sure if he actually did make any proper friends whilst we were at school.

“Girl 3 Eto”

That was when I realized that she was Noriko’s friend that took the picture. She was shy and I guess that was why I never really learned her name. She said good bye to Noriko before taking her bag and walking out.

“Boy 4 Oda”

“Girl 4 Ogawa”

Ogawa hugged her boyfriend tightly before getting her bags but when the soldier threw her hers Ogawa threw the green bag right at Kitano before running out, unprotected.

“Boy 5 Kawada”

Kawada – the new transfer student – ran to get his bag before running swiftly out of the room.

“Girl 5 Kanai”

“Boy 6 Kiriyama”

I looked up towards Kiriyama to see him jump off the table and slowly walk towards the soldier. Even though no one really knew him everyone avoided him like the plague, he was quite a tall guy and I guess he was intimidating with his cold looks and with him almost never saying a word.

I guess that no one knowing him that well was another thing to be scared of. He had no relations to anyone so there was no need for him to spare any of their lives.

“On the double.” One of the soldiers screamed because of Kiriyama’s slow pace.

He caught the bag with ease but just as he was about to exit the transfer student Kawada barged in and ended up smashing into his shoulder sending him back a bit.

Kawada threw the bag he had been given at Kitano before pointing to another bag and saying “That one’s my bag.”

Kitano laughed “As you can probably guess, he’s a little dangerous.”

Kawada picked up the bag he was pointing to before glaring at Kiriyama and walking out. Kiriyama just walked out after him without saying a word.

“Girl 6, Rin Kato.” Said the annoying voice.

My blood was coming to a boil and I couldn’t take not saying anything anymore. I stood up and looked Kitano in the eyes defiantly.

“You’re a sick man you know that, making children kill each other off for no good reason. You’re a murderer yourself but you don’t care. Trust me when I say that I’m going to get out of this alive but by the end of it, you won’t.”

Everyone in the room stared at me with a mixture of emotions on their faces. I guess that they never expected a quiet girl like me to say something like that but I also think that they were scared of what was going to happen next.

I saw Kitano’s hand twitch slightly and I knew he was mad. In one quick movement he got hold of his knife and threw it straight at my head like with the girl who had whispered.

I was able to easily dodge the object and catch the handle of the knife in my hand.

When I looked around I saw that the faces of the student’s had changed. They looked scared, of me.

They realised at that moment that I wasn’t joking when I said that I would make it out of this game alive. They also realised that I was going to be hard competition to beat. I guess all those years of learning different martial arts were starting to pay off.

I walked up to Kitano with a small smile on my face. “I think you dropped something.” I said putting the knife out to him.

“Keep it.” He said shocking me “This will be interesting.”

I left my blue bag, not needing the extra weight dragging me down and just walked to get the green bag which I was able to catch easily without the force of the throw sending me to the ground.

Screw these rules, the game was about to begin.

VOTE (Because you like the story)

COMMENT (About what you think to Rin's character)

PLEASE