Chapter 14 - The middle

(Rin’s pov)

After I had left Hayashi I went to find cover, somewhere that I could sleep and recuperate from the fight which had been raging on. I walked around the outskirts of the island thinking that everyone should be trying to get rest now somewhere further inland.

My feet were starting to feel like lead and my eyelids were heavy as well. The land started to become steep and I steadily tried to make my way down without rolling.

I was able to make it and I collapsed in relief and exhaustion at the bottom.

My eyes started to close even though I knew that sleeping out in the open wasn’t the best idea.

I woke to the sounds of muffled voices. It was still dark and I still felt like hell so I knew that I hadn’t been sleeping for too long.

A quiet yawn escaped my lips unwillingly only filling me with more sleep. The voices started to get louder causing my fuzzy mind to clear.

I jumped up forgetting about how tired I was and I ran behind a cluster of large rocks.

The voices came closer and as they did I looked round the rocks to see who was there. Two girls came into my view who I soon recognised to be Mizuho and Kaori.

In school then they had both talked to me. I didn’t know them enough to call them friends but I wouldn’t think of them as able of killing.

Mizuho was a girl who seemed to live in a fantasy. To me she didn’t really seem right in the head but still she was best friends with Kaori. Kaori was the more normal of the two even though she did get regularly picked on.

I wasn’t sure what to do, whether I should stay hidden and wait or go see how they were doing.

As they got closer I noticed the tears running down both of their faces.

“I’m scared; I don’t want to do this.” Kaori said looking towards Mizuho.

I wondered what they were on about, any normal person would think that it was about the game but the way she had said it made it sound like something else.

“Come on. You can do it.” Mizuho said trying to sound confidant despite the tears which were streaming down her face.

They walked past me as I held my breath. They passed without noticing my presence which I was grateful for.

They walked on and I followed behind them. I couldn’t hear their voices over the sound of the crashing waves beside us which I was annoyed about but all I really wanted to know was what they were planning.

Both of them walked behind some rocks and I decided to wait for them to realise that it was a dead end and to walk out again. I remembered passing it before.

I sat and waited, and waited some more. I thought about something which I hadn’t done before. I wondered what I would do if I happened to survive the messed up twisted game.

I was jolted from my thoughts as I heard the sound of bullets and screaming.

Quickly I jumped up from where I was sitting and I went to go see what had happened to Mizuho and Kaori.

They both lay there with guns in their hands and bullet wounds in their chests. Had that been their plan; to kill each other off so that they wouldn’t have to put up with the sickness of the game which they had been forced to play.

I wondered how many others had done the same. How many had killed themselves so that they wouldn’t have to put up with it.

There were three types of people who played the game. The strong people like Mizuho and Kaori who wouldn’t let themselves become captive. The ones who got subdued into the game like Kiriyama.