Chapter 3 - Rules

A nervous laugh sounded from one of the boys sitting near Kitano. I looked and saw that it was Iijima, the guy on the bus that threw something at me, whether it was an accident or not I still wasn’t sure.

His laughter stopped when everyone started to stare at him, including Kitano. “What’s so funny?” He shouted to which Iijima gave no reply.

“Sir, I don’t understand what you’re talking about I mean…”

“Actually your teacher Hayashida was strongly against the selection of class B.” As he said this two army men rolled in something covered by a sheet.

He ripped off the sheet to reveal the top part of the bloodied body of our former teacher Hayashida. His face was covered in a dark red layer of blood. His mouth was open in a silent scream that was never heard and his arm was bent at an odd angle by his head.

All the students crawled back as they screamed in unison, some even fell off of their chairs if they were sitting on them. This was all starting to seem too real.

I refused to scream and refused to back away but I couldn’t help but look to Kiriyama for reassurance like I used to. All I saw was an emotionless face staring at the dead body without any interest.

 “Calm down and listen, this is a no good adult.” Kitano said pointing to the corpse “You have to work hard in life not to become like him.” With that the body was carted back out of the room.

“Time to watch a video, don’t fall asleep now.” Kitano said sitting on the teachers desk.

The TV turned on showing a red BR logo in the background and in white writing it said “The right way to fight a battle royale”

A cheerful looking woman came onto the screen wearing an orange shirt with BR on it, an army style cap and army style pants.

“Hello everyone in class B.” She said in an overly excited voice.

“Hello.” Kitano shouts to the TV whilst clapping his hands together, everyone else just stared at him in silence before returning their attention back to the TV.

“You are the lucky class that was Chosen for this year’s battle royale. Congratulations.” The woman shouted in an annoyingly high pitched tone.

“Thank you.” Kitano says back.

“Now I’m going to explain the rules for you. Listen well to fight right and with gusto.” Some of the pupils seemed to listen more intently with that said. I guess that it would be a lie if I said that I wasn’t listening more closely too.

“You are on a deserted island. It’s about 10 kilometers around, but we evacuated everyone so it’s empty.”

“Hey I said no whispering.” Kitano shouted jumping up from the desk. The girl who was whispering stood up probably about to apologize but it was too late. Kitano had already got out a knife and thrown it at the girls head.

Screams echoed all around the room as the body of Fumiyo Fujiyoshi fell to the floor. “Move, Move.” Kitano shouted and the students scurried leaving a pathway for him to get to the body.

“Sorry, it’s against the rules for me to kill isn’t it?” Kitano’s voice said like almost nothing had happened. He kicked the body so that it was facing upwards before retrieving his knife from her skull.

Girl 19 Fujiyoshi Dead

43 To Go

The whole class started screaming and running to the doors blocked by soldiers in a desperate attempt to escape.