Chapter 51

Today was the day, the day that the social worker was coming to do an at home walk through. Let me tell you just how much of a nervous wreck I was. I couldn't sleep the entire night before, I literally sat there shaking my leg and coming up with every single scenario I could in my head, much to Lin's dismay. He tried to calm me down but nothing that anybody could say would calm me down in the slightest, so here I was at five in the morning scrubbing the counters down, yet again. I had probably cleaned the apartment about three times over. The place looked miraculous and not what our home usually looked like, oh well.

"Really honey?" Lin walked out of the bedroom. He sat down on the kitchen table, yes the table which I had scrubbed three times.

"Get your ass off that table." My eyes went wide and I shooed him away.

"Babe, relax." He laughed as he did as I wished.

"How are you so relaxed?"

"One of us has to be. The social worker will think you're insane if you keep acting this way."

I smiled, "You're not wrong, I just... I want it to go perfectly."

"Trust me, it won't go perfectly. It'll probably feel like a disaster when she's walking through. But that's just how life is and she knows that. She's not going to expect perfection from us. We both have full time jobs and have two toddlers running around wreaking havoc at every single turn. She knows this and you know this. She wants to get a feel for who we are and you are definitely not showing who you actually are right now." He laughed, "Relax honey, I promise it'll turn out just fine."

I nodded my head and put down the cleaning supplies, "We could be getting a little girl here soon. All of our paperwork is finished and we're in the final steps. We've been going through this for four months now and I just don't want it to vanish in front of my eyes, we've put so much work into it."

"We have," He nodded and wrapped his arms around me, "And she knows that. That's why they make the process so arduous. Sit down, I'm going to make some breakfast, okay?"

"Deal. Just don't make anything to dirty, I've been cleaning for days."

He laughed, "Really? I hadn't noticed."

I rolled my eyes and sat down at the kitchen table. I opened up the folder we had on the little girl that we were going to be adopting. She hadn't been born yet. Her mother is a teenager in the city of Mayaguez. She is from a very large and poor family. She had gotten pregnant on accident and the father wasn't so much in the picture anymore. When we spoke on the phone she told me that she just couldn't terminate the pregnancy, she knew something good would come from it. She told us that we were the good to come from it, she thought we were heroes for taking her daughter and raising her in New York City. I smiled at the picture of her mother, she is beautiful. She has tanned skin, big bright brown eyes and long dark brown hair. She also sent us a photo of the father and he is quite handsome as well. The woman, Valeria, was so kind and gentle on the telephone and constantly gave Lin and I updates about the pregnancy. She was about six months along, give or take a few weeks and had no serious issues that had come about during the pregnancy. The baby was growing at the rate that was expected. Everything was falling into place.

Lin set down a plate of food and admired the pictures in front of him, "She's going to be beautiful."

I smiled, "Her mother is stunning. Her father is handsome. She's going to be perfect. Quite literally perfect."

He squeezed my shoulder and kissed my cheek, "We haven't talked about names."

"I was thinking we could ask Valeria if she had any input. I mean it is her child, we can obviously change the name but it would be nice to hear her input."